Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps impossible.

Perhaps impossible.

Being a Louis Rossel freak, maybe super-freak, when a model I've never seen occasionally pops up I have to look. A couple of weeks ago, a evrsion I've never seen showed up on the internet at a cheap price with a decent looking movement. I snapped it up. I knew it was in terrible shape, but where Louis Rossels are concerned I may make bad decisions from time to time.

Name:  P9020017.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  35.0 KB Name:  P9020018.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  P9020019.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  38.9 KB Name:  P9020020.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  P9020021.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  43.7 KB Name:  P9020022.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  P9020023.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  28.0 KB

Louis Rossel used everything from plated base metal to tungsten carbide on their cases. The worst ones to work with are plated base metal as it is very easy to polish right through the plating and hardened chrome steel. This case is the chrome steel variety. It is quite scratch resistant but somewhat prone to dimpling from hard knocks. This one has seen more than it's share of hard knocks. Chrome is harder than most of the sandpapers I use, so after two or three swipes the paper is worn out.

The other bad thing about this watch is that it has the worst crystal ever used on a watch- mineral glass. This one is very deeply scratched.

I will post this renovation , if and when each step occurs. It should be an interesting look at the frustrations involved in such a task, as I am skeptical that I will be able to achieve my desired level of finish.

All Aboard!

2. Likes OhDark30, is that my watch liked this post
    OMG, that's had one hard life !

I've never heard of the brand until you've brought it up Henry

I think one day I'll do a thread dedicated to them and what tiny bit is known about them.

5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    sandpaper
    Sandpaper's for timber, emery cloth/paper is for metals

Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

I'm sure I could, but it would still require all the work to get it smooth and... it cost nothing, so I don't know if I'd bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I'm sure I could, but it would still require all the work to get it smooth and... it cost nothing, so I don't know if I'd bother.
    I misread the original post I was thinking it was a chrome coated base metal case.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I misread the original post I was thinking it was a chrome coated base metal case.
    I do have at least one chrome plated base metal LR. They are easier to work on than the chrome steel.

I've just found this thread and, while I'm sure you could bring the case back to a decent condition, I was wondering what you will do about the badly damaged crystal?
    My biggest fear when buying a used watch is that the crystal will have some deep scratch that I was unable to see from sellers pics.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    I've just found this thread and, while I'm sure you could bring the case back to a decent condition, I was wondering what you will do about the badly damaged crystal?
    My biggest fear when buying a used watch is that the crystal will have some deep scratch that I was unable to see from sellers pics.

The chrome cases are nearly impossible to sand. I am having better luck with the crystal than the case.