Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acryl crystal, a scratch magnet?

Acryl crystal, a scratch magnet?

I recent purchased a Timex Expedition and the acryl crystal is allready covered with hairscratches from wiping my crystal with my sleeves. It's strange cos i wear Swatches and other watches with acryl and they all remain without any scratch on the crystal. Timex claims that this is a rugged watch. Are there differences in the hardness of acryl? I can't unsee the hairscratches. Think i have to order a family pack polywatch...

I had a Casio with the crystal. It's a beater so I really don't care. It seems to get scratched if I just look at it.

Scratches on acrylic crystal give watches some character. I may be minority, but I like 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by samael_6978 View Post
    Scratches on acrylic crystal give watches some character. I may be minority, but I like 'em.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, not all acrylic is created equal. I don't know what Casio uses, but it's really strong. I'm used to treating my vintage watches with care, and the Polywatch certainly comes in handy. I guess Timex decided to save a few pennies and go with the soft stuff.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

The hardness of acrylic can vary quite a bit. I've had Swatches that are very resistant to scratches and other watches with acrylic crystals that scratch very easily. As with everything, there is a tradeoff involved. Harder, more scratch resistant acrylic is more likely subject to cracking or shattering.

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    I recent purchased a Timex Expedition and the acryl crystal is allready covered with hairscratches from wiping my crystal with my sleeves. It's strange cos i wear Swatches and other watches with acryl and they all remain without any scratch on the crystal. Timex claims that this is a rugged watch. Are there differences in the hardness of acryl? I can't unsee the hairscratches. Think i have to order a family pack polywatch...

Anyone with a number of acrylic crystals should forego the time consuming use of polywatch. I've used it and it takes minutes to clean up a crysrtal.
    This takes less than 15 seconds, including the time to brush off the dust.

(I can't believe I'm the only person who uses a dental lathe to polish watch crystals!)

8. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    I have a 5yo Fossil which immediately starting picking up horrible deep scratches. Polywatch didn't make a dent in it. Time for a new crystal, I think.

It didn't help that I wore it much too loose for a long time, so that it rotated to the bottom of my wrist and collided early and often with my laptop.

Now, the bracelet is properly sized, so I won't repeat that disaster.

Name:  FossilAdjusted.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  92.6 KB
    La lutte elle-mme vers les sommets suffit remplir un cur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Learn to become one with Polywatch....
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

None of mine (Omega, Seiko and Accurist) have been anywhere near as bad as I would have thought..
    G-Shock: GW-7900-1ER & GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: GMT Ocean One 39mm
    Vostok: Komandirskie 650547