Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citizen and Sony collaborate on smart watch with traditional face

Citizen and Sony collaborate on smart watch with traditional face

Sony and Citizen have just announced an interesting take on the smart watch, it has a traditional analogue face (3 hander and chronograph models will be available) and all the smart bits are built into the band, with LEDs for notifications and NFC for contactless payments. The band looks to be a standard 22mm one so may be possible to stick it on any watch.
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/31/s...&ncid=rss_semi

2. Likes is that my watch, OhDark30 liked this post
    Rather confusing. Being iOS8 compatible it simply becomes an extention of your iPhone, is that right? So, instead of phone beeping/vibrating in your pocket you get a flashing light on your wrist, and instead of digging out your phone to make a payment you just use your watch? What else? Well, I'm not a gadget nerd, hopefully with the spread of NFC I'll find its use for me (for now cash only).

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNomad View Post
    Rather confusing. Being iOS8 compatible it simply becomes an extention of your iPhone, is that right? So, instead of phone beeping/vibrating in your pocket you get a flashing light on your wrist, and instead of digging out your phone to make a payment you just use your watch? What else? Well, I'm not a gadget nerd, hopefully with the spread of NFC I'll find its use for me (for now cash only).
    Yes, that's right. So the concept is that the coloured LEDs tell you what kind of notification you have on your phone and let you know whether it's worth getting it out of your pocket or not.

Not sure about the notifications, but if/when NFC payments take off I can definitely see the appeal of it.

Hm, the payment idea worries me a bit - can see myself making a grand gesture in a watch shop, and finding I've bought the place
    Thanks for the link, Olly, another interesting read
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

7. Likes BlackNomad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Hm, the payment idea worries me a bit - can see myself making a grand gesture in a watch shop, and finding I've bought the place
    Thanks for the link, Olly, another interesting read
    That would be a great excuse to use with spouses though!

9. Likes OhDark30, is that my watch liked this post
    I was talking with oh'd about this the other day I had saw your thread and it got mention in conversation was going to ask last night but forgot so you would still need your phone then it is just a indicator of what going on then with it ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    I was talking with oh'd about this the other day I had saw your thread and it got mention in conversation was going to ask last night but forgot so you would still need your phone then it is just a indicator of what going on then with it ?
    I think the NFC stuff might be independent, but with anything like this the phone is really the brain, so if you take that out of the equation the watch can't do much

so is the bracelet fix on them ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    so is the bracelet fix on them ?
    It's not clear yet, but looks like it's removable.

14. Likes is that my watch liked this post