Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Vintage Rado Lauberhorn Automatic Watch ****

**** Vintage Rado Lauberhorn Automatic Watch ****

What do we know of them I was bidding on one but as I am keen but not really that up on them I was not a hundred percent sure of what I was biding on I had a price point I would not go past and it when just slightly over it.. I kicked myself that I did not bid one more time but then that can get dangerous to do as it then just one more

so what info can you give on them for spotting the fakes out there how does this one look was it worth the punt

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I missed this thread completely

That one looks authentic, but the case seems to have been polished at some point. It even seems to have the correct integrated bracelet. I think Scott is buying more vintage than me lately, so he probably knows better about price these days. I don't look at too many of the auction sites nowadays.

Some things to look out for:
    Most Rados with acrylic crystals have a small anchor cast into the centre,

You want one that has an anchor disc and hands that match the case. It is almost unheard of for Rado to put gold hands or an anchor in a steel watch.

Look for a well engraved Rado on the winding rotor. Only the AS-1876 was ever used in a Rado without an engraved rotor, and they only appear in two or three models.

Pre-1968 a Rado will most likely have an A Scilhd movement. After that they transition over to exclusive use of ETAs. Unless it is something like a Voyager, Companion the movement should be a higher end ETA or A Schild with a high jewel count.

If you are looking to buy a tungsten carbide model, look for cracks or chips. They happen.

3. Likes is that my watch, geoffbot liked this post
    May I take advantage of this thread to use a Rado that's being offered for sale as a way of callibrating the prices of a dealer?

Name:  Rado a0.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  Rado a1.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  Rado a2.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  59.3 KB

RADO GOLDEN HORSE AUTOMATIC WINDING WATCH
    Case No: 11xxxxxx / 30xxxxxx / 11675 / CASE PAT 343942 / SYMBOL PAT 345602
    Caliber: 1700/01
    Vibrations Per Hour: 18,000
    Automatic winding & Manual Winding
    Jewels: 30 Jewels
    Dial: Nice Silver Color Dial Original (Some Fine Hair Scratches)
    Crystal: Signed Acrylic Original (Some Fine Scratches & Fine Crack line around the Acrylic)
    Bezel: Outer Ring with Crack Line (Ring is not Break)
    Crown: Signed R Original
    Case: Stainless Steel (Fine Scratches)
    Dimensions of Case: 34.5 x 43 mm (Excluding Crown)

As far as I'm aware this dealer is trustworthy, and if they say something is original it is. In this instance only the strap in unoriginal. Price is $269. Seller is in the far east.

5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    That's nice DA and 100 % correct. I don't see the case back, but all the info he is giving from the case back is correct.

Is it worth $269? I am not sure what prices things go for nowadays, but probably if you want it. I'd want to pay less, but I like the thrill of the bad seller pics.

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    That's nice DA and 100 % correct. I don't see the case back, but all the info he is giving from the case back is correct.

Is it worth $269? I am not sure what prices things go for nowadays, but probably if you want it. I'd want to pay less, but I like the thrill of the bad seller pics.
    There were more pics. I get the general impression that, being a dealer, his prices aren't competitive compared to enthusiast-to-enthusiast sales, but that once you've allowed for a reasonable margin he's not taking the piss. Thank you! Mostly he sells Seikos, which is why I know about him - I got my Skyliner from him. His watches always look thoroughly un-restored, original condition prized over everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There were more pics. I get the general impression that, being a dealer, his prices aren't competitive compared to enthusiast-to-enthusiast sales, but that once you've allowed for a reasonable margin he's not taking the piss. Thank you! Mostly he sells Seikos, which is why I know about him - I got my Skyliner from him. His watches always look thoroughly un-restored, original condition prized over everything else
    I think it is worth it. The crystal does not seem to have an anchor, but that model is old enough that it may never have had one. Even if it is a replacement that is not such a big deal. The R crown is always a nice find too.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There were more pics. I get the general impression that, being a dealer, his prices aren't competitive compared to enthusiast-to-enthusiast sales, but that once you've allowed for a reasonable margin he's not taking the piss.
    There is a gold plate Golden Horse of similar vintage on the bay right now. It is in nice shape. Opening bid of $499 USD and BIN of $2400 USD. That is, most definitely, taking the piss.

11. Likes Der Amf, scottjc liked this post
    Apologies guys, I have only just seen this thread.

I've just sold a Lauberhorn, they're pretty rare but I found the shape of the case and lack of the usual Alpine brushing fairly uninspiring.

The crystal is sapphire, hence no anchor.

The dials are usually textured, this one looks dirty but could just be badly photographed.

The bracelet looks wrong. The Lauberhorn doesn't have an integrated bracelet but that one looks to me like it came from a Ticino, or another model that I can't think of immediately.

For the right price it might be worth taking a punt at, the case has been over polished but can be rebrushed, locating a model/period correct bracelet may be more of an issue though.
    Edit: Just a thought but Alpines are seldom faked, sometimes Frankened. The hands on this one are different to mine but I quite like them.
    Last edited by scottjc; Sep 10, 2015 at 07:55 PM.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

13. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Def Amf, the Horse models go for much higher prices in the Far East than in the West as they are the most popular Rados over there by far. $269 doesn't seem unreasonable when you take that into consideration. The strap may be after market but the case, dial and movement look in decent shape.

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    For reference, this is the one I recently sold:

17. Likes is that my watch liked this post