Likes Likes:  97
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose a chrono, Speedy 9300 vs Zenith 36,000 VPH

If you had to choose a chrono, Speedy 9300 vs Zenith 36,000 VPH

I love both these a lot. Both are great sporty chronographs. Both have fantastic movements. One is the famous tried and true El Primero and one is a newly developed movement but is fantastic as well. Both movements look fantastic. Both come with choice of bracelet or strap and cost roughly the same depending on what combo to go with and discounts. If you had to choose between these as a one and only chronograph, I'm curious to what you guys would pick. In particular I like the Speedy 9300 on strap and the Zenith on bracelet.

Name:  speed1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  speed5.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  Bildschirmfoto.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  _DSC0896.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  44.3 KB

For more equal comparative view, I'll add the black dial version on strap...

Name:  EP_Chrono_Zenith.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  97.5 KB

Altough i don't like tachy-bezels, i would go for the Omega. The Zenith looks like a cheap quartz IMO...

omega 9300 all the way. the 9300 has so much new tech in it and its awesome. the el primero just seems.. antiquated next to it.
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

I'm familiar with the El Primero's history, but would anyone care to shed some like on the new 9300 movement? Based purely on looks, I prefer the omega. IoL, I know you would fine that surprising to hear.
    B.-

5. Likes -JP liked this post
    It's hard to bet against the Zenith movement, and the Speedy dial is better.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

7. Likes -JP liked this post

If you had to choose a chrono, Speedy 9300 vs Zenith 36,000 VPH

El Primero for me.

Zenith interests me more as a brand. I think the movement in the Zenith is better looking and if I was going to buy a Speedmaster it had better be handwind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Sep 4, 2015 at 02:01 AM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

9. Likes -JP, Roller.959 liked this post
    Interesting you say that the el primero seems antiquated. I feel the same way sort of but opposite and from the inside out. I feel the 9300 makes the El Primero movement that way but from the front point of view the Zenith looks more modern IMO
    '

11. Likes Chase, Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyR___ View Post
    I'm familiar with the El Primero's history, but would anyone care to shed some like on the new 9300 movement?
    The 9300 movement is a column wheel (vertically coupled) chronograph running at 28,800vph, built around a 2nd generation (3 funcional levels) co-axial escapement. It uses a new silicon hairspring and a reguator free fine-adjustement that relies on gold washers on the inside of the balance rim. The new Nivachoc system is said to be an improvement. The bi-directional rotor (ball bearings) sends power to an alternating gear train to 2 serially switched barrels achieving a 60h power reserve.

From what I've seen published, the technical measurements are really impressive: the movement keeps its rate with the chrono "on" and the amplitude barely decreases. The accuracy is quite remarkable.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by CFR; Sep 4, 2015 at 02:06 AM.

13. Likes -JP, Ryan, BillyR___, geoffbot liked this post
    Not surprisingly, you have chosen two brands that I am considering for my chronograph purchase after the GS, but the Zenith I'm looking at is this one...

Name:  Zenith copy.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  67.1 KB
    Tough choice as the Speedy is so legible, iconic and the fit, at least for me, is perfect. As per usual, it comes down to aesthetics first for me and neither of these are slouches in the "iconic", horological significance aspect. Big help I am...not.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Sep 4, 2015 at 02:10 AM.

15. Likes -JP liked this post
    How long has it been on the market now?

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    The 9300 movement is a column wheel (vertically coupled) chronograph running at 28,800vph, built around a 2nd generation (3 funcional levels) co-axial escapement. It uses a new silicon hairspring and a reguator free fine-adjustement that relies on gold washers on the inside of the balance rim. The new Nivachoc system is said to be an improvement. The bi-directional rotor (ball bearings) sends power to an alternating gear train to 2 serially switched barrels achieving a 60h power reserve.

For what I've seen published, the technical measurements are really impressive: the movement keeps its rate with the chrono "on" and the amplitude barely decreases. The accuracy is quite remarkable.

Hope this helps.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job