Likes Likes:  1

Thread: What causes this problem with setting the time?

What causes this problem with setting the time?

New watch.

While adjusting the time, the hands do not move smoothly, but constantly catch on something, and then jump, often from one minute marker to the next.

The hour hand is also sometimes visibly doing the same. Even after the time has been set, and the watch is running, the hour hand moves a very small bit (about a degree or two)

My uneducated guess is that there is some dirt in the way, a tiny bit of grit.

My fear is that this may escalate from annoying to damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My uneducated guess is that there is some dirt in the way, a tiny bit of grit.

I'm uneducated too, but I'd also suspect some grit, or maybe a lack of lubrication or a poorly finished surface.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I'm uneducated too, but I'd also suspect some grit, or maybe a lack of lubrication or a poorly finished surface.
    I did trying winding it round and round to see if it wasn't just a case of needing waking up, but the clunk as it passed over the obstruction remained.... The poorly finished surface idea hadn't occurred to me, but from the feel of how it behaved that sounds equally plausible, if not more so. Which makes me think that I've done the right thing in requesting to return it straightaway, no faffing about with taking it to a watchmaker first.

I got out my 1968 Seiko to wear instead today, and was so very struck by the precision with which the minute hand could be set. How it glided into place.

Blog Entries
    Neither an expert here, but it sounds like a flaw or obstruction. I would return it (knowing such is not trivial in Chinese purchases.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Neither an expert here, but it sounds like a flaw or obstruction. I would return it (knowing such is not trivial in Chinese purchases.)
    The vendor has a good reputation for making things right. And I payed with PayPal.....

6. Likes skywatch liked this post

I too think something is obstructing within the case and would want the seller to correct it, IMHO.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx