Likes Likes:  443
Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1017

Thread: Wot u readin'?

Decided to start reading the Lee Childs Reacher series which I think is at 30 books now. Been through four so far. They are great for entertainment books and a few are very different from the style of the ones they've made the series and movies from. I will never understand how Tom Cruise was Reacher in the movies. I've met him and I'm taller, but no one calls me the big guy.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

2. Likes pacifico66 liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post

I thought I'd next try to tackle one of the many classics I have never read.

This may be a challenge. It's over 800 pages and the writing style seems a bit stilted for 1925 (the year it was published).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, it was a worthwhile exercise.

The book is overwritten, I think, and Dreiser, to my mind at least, is not much of a stylist. His prose is turgid and too full of curlicues and double negatives. For much of the book, the
    plot moves glacially.

With all that said, he never lost my interest. I was interested in the antihero at the center of the book and Dreiser really takes you inside his thoughts and emotions, even when they are a jumble of contradictions. The book has made me curious about the real life events that inspired Dreiser.

Blog Entries
    Currently alternating between these two:

From the NY Times Book Review:

>> “Judgment at Tokyo,” by the Princeton professor of politics Gary J. Bass, [ is] an elegantly written and comprehensive treatment of the prosecution of Japanese war crimes after the Second World War.<<

Bass also talks a lot about the impact of the war and the tribunal on subsequent developments in Asia.

From the New York Times review:

>>Anonymity creates disinhibition,” Emily Cockayne writes in “Penning Poison,” a lively survey of the practice of sending anonymous letters “with the aim, or apparent aim, of unsettling the person they were sent to.” <<

5. Likes pacifico66 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post

This one is actually a very academic work. It is too detailed, too dry and 100% focused on 18th and 19th century Britain.

I've moved on without getting very far into it.

Blog Entries

>>NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The powerful story of an inspiring doctor who made a difference, by helping to create a program to care for Boston’s homeless community—by the Pulitzer Prize–winning, New York Times bestselling author of Mountains Beyond Mountains<<

8. Likes pacifico66 liked this post
    Waited 7 years for this one to be released. I am Pilgrim was one of the best I have ever read hope this one lives up

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Name:  81HbWojYT4L._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  123.6 KB

And with the Clowns Came Tears. Takes me back to my university years when I would listen to it from audio cassettes.

Just finished James by Percival Everett. A reimagining of Huck Finn from Jim's point of view. Finished it in 2 days. Pretty much follows Jim and Huck's river journey for the first 100 pages or so but follows what happens to Jim when they get separated. Absolutely fantastic book. Highly recommended.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Gotta start them young.

13. Likes tribe125, rodia77, hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries

This was well done, I thought. Entertaining.

15. Likes Spooky liked this post