Likes Likes:  443
Page 100 of 102 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1017

Thread: Wot u readin'?

Name:  IMG_8267.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  161.6 KB

There wasn’t a league football club where I grew up so you were free to support anyone. Manchester United and Chelsea were the glamour clubs of the day and I chose United.

Work took me to Watford, where I lived for thirty years, a short walk from Vicarage Road, the home of Watford FC. What luck. Elton John and Graham Taylor were taking Watford from the bottom of Division Four to the top of Division One in five years. In the first game I saw, Watford beat first division Southampton -7-1 in the League Cup. In the next round, Watford beat Nottingham Forest, then European Champions, 4-1.

Anything was possible for Watford in those days. The stadium had been better-known for dog racing than football and here was Watford humbling the best teams of the day with a brand of ‘up and at ‘em’ football that had never been seen before. It was down to these two unlikely men - Elton John and Graham Taylor. The story has been told before, but not from Elton’s point of view. In the intimate and ramshackle world of Watford FC you felt like you knew them both.

2. Likes Fantasio, hayday, Kronos liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Name:  IMG_8267.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  161.6 KB

There wasn’t a league football club where I grew up so you were free to support anyone. Manchester United and Chelsea were the glamour clubs of the day and I chose United.

Work took me to Watford, where I lived for thirty years, a short walk from Vicarage Road, the home of Watford FC. What luck. Elton John and Graham Taylor were taking Watford from the bottom of Division Four to the top of Division One in five years. In the first game I saw, Watford beat first division Southampton -7-1 in the League Cup. In the next round, Watford beat Nottingham Forest, then European Champions, 4-1.

Anything was possible for Watford in those days. The stadium had been better-known for dog racing than football and here was Watford humbling the best teams of the day with a brand of ‘up and at ‘em’ football that had never been seen before. It was down to these two unlikely men - Elton John and Graham Taylor. The story has been told before, but not from Elton’s point of view. In the intimate and ramshackle world of Watford FC you felt like you knew them both.
    This story is very timely, given the hoopla (at least in the U.S.) around "Welcome to Wrexham".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnily enough, Wrexham were a division higher than Watford when I first started watching them. They would also get into European competitions courtesy of winning the Welsh Cup. Big club, Wrexham!

5. Likes Kronos liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I'm 100 pages in. It's very, very good.

Blog Entries
    Even if "Portrait of a Thief" had the bones of a credible plot -- and it does not -- the writing is cliche ridden and just plain awful. I'm not sure I've ever read a New York Times recommended book that was this bad and amateurish.

In the name of all that's good and holy, avoid this novel.

Decided to start the year by nerding out on space stuff.

Amazon summary
    Earth is not well. The promise of starting life anew somewhere far, far away—no climate change, no war, no Twitter—beckons, and settling the stars finally seems within our grasp. Or is it? Critically acclaimed, bestselling authors Kelly and Zach Weinersmith set out to write the essential guide to a glorious future of space settlements, but after years of research, they aren’t so sure it’s a good idea. Space technologies and space business are progressing fast, but we lack the knowledge needed to have space kids, build space farms, and create space nations in a way that doesn’t spark conflict back home. In a world hurtling toward human expansion into space, A City on Mars investigates whether the dream of new worlds won’t create nightmares, both for settlers and the people they leave behind. In the process, the Weinersmiths answer every question about space you’ve ever wondered about, and many you’ve never considered:

Can you make babies in space? Should corporations govern space settlements? What about space war? Are we headed for a housing crisis on the Moon’s Peaks of Eternal Light—and what happens if you’re left in the Craters of Eternal Darkness? Why do astronauts love taco sauce? Speaking of meals, what’s the legal status of space cannibalism?

With deep expertise, a winning sense of humor, and art from the beloved creator of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, the Weinersmiths investigate perhaps the biggest questions humanity will ever ask itself—whether and how to become multiplanetary.

Get in, we’re going to Mars.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

9. Likes Kronos liked this post
    Blog Entries
    About 1/3 of the way through this memoir. Really excellent.

11. Likes pacifico66 liked this post
    Good one here I was kinda burnt out on espionage and although this had the usual guns,criminal element etc at the end of the day it really highlighted what close friends would do for one another which was a nice takeaway .

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I picked this up based on recommendations from this august group. I'll check out the TV series after I finish the book.

14. Likes Fantasio, pacifico66 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Wot u readin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    I picked this up based on recommendations from this august group. I'll check out the TV series after I finish the book.

I liked "Slow Horses" well enough. I'll definitely read another book in this series.

I thought I'd next try to tackle one of the many classics I have never read.

This may be a challenge. It's over 800 pages and the writing style seems a bit stilted for 1925 (the year it was published).

Last edited by Kronos; Feb 8, 2024 at 09:33 PM.

16. Likes pacifico66 liked this post