Likes Likes:  432
Page 85 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Wot u readin'?

Just started this one

Franny Stone has always been the kind of woman who is able to love but unable to stay. Leaving behind everything but her research gear, she arrives in Greenland with a singular purpose: to follow the last Arctic terns in the world on what might be their final migration to Antarctica. Franny talks her way onto a fishing boat, and she and the crew set sail, traveling ever further from shore and safety. But as Franny’s history begins to unspool―a passionate love affair, an absent family, a devastating crime―it becomes clear that she is chasing more than just the birds. When Franny's dark secrets catch up with her, how much is she willing to risk for one more chance at redemption?

Epic and intimate, heartbreaking and galvanizing, Charlotte McConaghy's*Migrations*is an ode to a disappearing world and a breathtaking page-turner about the possibility of hope against all odds.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

well going to my inner nerd and started to get some of the dark horse firefly comics any one know how they list them as they seem mixed up ? was looking on the bay and two had the no.4 leaves on the wind description but with two diff covers so anyone know of a list or something that show the correct order and sequence ?

and whether they did same story's with diff covers or not
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Again, listening rather than reading.

Name:  Andrzej_Sapkowski_-_The_Tower_of_Fools.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  69.1 KB
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tower_of_Fools

(The author mostly known in the West for the Witcher saga).

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finished these:

A great read. And also fascinating history.

>> Henry Every was the seventeenth century’s most notorious pirate....Enemy of All Mankind focuses on one key event—the attack on an Indian treasure ship by Every and his crew—and its surprising repercussions across time and space....

Johnson uses the extraordinary story of Henry Every and his crimes to explore the emergence of the East India Company, the British Empire, and the modern global marketplace: a densely interconnected planet ruled by nations and corporations. <<

A Scandinavian noir, set in 1943 when Sweden’s neutrality in World War II was under great pressure from Nazi Germany. A page turner.

>> The Ball family hails from South Carolina―Charleston and thereabouts. Their plantations were among the oldest and longest-standing plantations in the South. Between 1698 and 1865, close to four thousand black people were born into slavery under the Balls or were bought by them. In Slaves in the Family, Edward Ball recounts his efforts to track down and meet the descendants of his family's slaves. Part historical narrative, part oral history, part personal story of investigation and catharsis, <<

It will come as no surprise to anyone familiar with the “peculiar institution” in the antebellum South that some descendants of Ball family slaves are blood relatives of the author. Ball is able to document the lives of various family slaves — even though there are no formal records: no birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, etc. He does this through dogged research and ingenious use of various family and archival records — the latter mostly to do with the buying and selling of human beings.

>> In 1990, Ellen McGarrahan was a young reporter for the Miami Herald when she covered the execution of Jesse Tafero, a man convicted of murdering two police officers....

Decades later, McGarrahan finally decides to find out the truth of what really happened in Florida.... <<

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Currently reading:

>> East West Street looks at the personal and intellectual evolution of the two men who simultaneously originated the ideas of “genocide” and “crimes against humanity,” both of whom, not knowing the other, studied at the same university with the same professors, in a city little known today that was a major cultural center of Europe, “the little Paris of Ukraine,” a city variously called Lemberg, Lwów, Lvov, or Lviv. It is also a spellbinding family memoir, as the author traces the mysterious story of his grandfather, as he maneuvered through Europe in the face of Nazi atrocities. <<

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    Finished these:

A great read. And also fascinating history.

>> Henry Every was the seventeenth century’s most notorious pirate....Enemy of All Mankind focuses on one key event—the attack on an Indian treasure ship by Every and his crew—and its surprising repercussions across time and space....

Johnson uses the extraordinary story of Henry Every and his crimes to explore the emergence of the East India Company, the British Empire, and the modern global marketplace: a densely interconnected planet ruled by nations and corporations. <<

That one might be of interest to me, by the look of it.

Meanwhile, I moved on to:

Name:  51c0QicMpxL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  41.1 KB

Running through this series so far so good

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pacifico66 View Post
    Running through this series so far so good

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I’ve read the first of those and I really liked it

I'm looking at it as a tutorial on how to be a better ally.

Name:  67461578_1578716462_Width288.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  80.6 KB

I'm also reading Harlen Coben's latest release because this is heady stuff and my brain needs breaks.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. Likes rodia77, Henry Krinkle, pacifico66 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Really enjoying this one. It is both an overview of Everest expeditions, with a focus on Mallory’s ill-fated 1924 venture (Mallory’s body was discovered on Everest in 1999), as well as a memoir recounting the author’s own Everest trip. The author was part of a group searching for the remains of Mallory’s climbing partner Sandy Irvine.