Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Saturday - 5 September 2015 »»»»»»»»»

««««««««« WRUW - Saturday - 5 September 2015 »»»»»»»»»

Good morning.

Name:  P9040T.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  278.0 KB

Have a great weekend.

Trying this on at the AD. Not sure how I feel about the orange...

Name:  IMG_3339.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  74.9 KB

Good morning! ^^^^^ great photo C! Haven't been around much recently but Ive been wearing this all the time of late.

Name:  Unknown-4.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  73.1 KB
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Good morning! ^^^^^ great photo C!
    Thanks, Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by -JP View Post
    Trying this on at the AD. Not sure how I feel about the orange...
    Don't know, JP. Guess I wouldn't take that "risk"...

6. Likes -JP, birdynamnam, ljb187 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Day 11 of the Iyonk tribute Japan sequence... OrientStar WZ0071DG Vintage Series

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Well after going to my favorite shops looking at new watch prospects I went past the LV store. I remember in the back of my head a few weeks prior the wife mentioning something she liked in the LV window as we walked by it. My conscious got the better of me and decided to skip the watch for myself, hold off a little while. and get the special someone in my life something nice. I haven't gotten a proper new mommy gift for her yet so thought I would use the opportunity. She gets a new tote bag and I get to go home with my Explorer 2 not a bad day.

Name:  IMG_3351.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  104.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by -JP View Post
    Well after going to my favorite shops looking at new watch prospects I went past the LV store. I remember in the back of my head a few weeks prior the wife mentioning something she liked in the LV window as we walked by it. My conscious got the better of me and decided to skip the watch for myself, hold off a little while. and get the special someone in my life something nice. I haven't gotten a proper new mommy gift for her yet so thought I would use the opportunity. She gets a new tote bag and I get to go home with my Explorer 2 not a bad day.

Ecellent decision, Sir!

10. Likes -JP liked this post
    These two are synched up for the long weekend.

Name:  IMG_3353.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3355.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  48.4 KB

Hamilton GCT - WWII Navigator's watch

My plane leaves in the morning, taking me to the Eastern half of the globe - so It's time to break out one of my "GCT" pocketwatches. These were made to mil spec during WWII. 24 hour black dial with white markings and hands. Base metal (vaguely silver-like) case, with more numbers than you can shake a stick at engraved on the back (stock number, contract number, manufacturer's model number, serial number...all satisfying the supply officers). I have three of these. This one is the most generic, and the one I usually travel with. It was made by Hamilton, and the "4C" serial number marks these movements as being a part (30 years later) of the last gasp of the American-made RR grade pocketwatch.

After Hamilton shut down manufacturing, there was a surplus of these "4C" serial numbered movements. They were used to build Hamilton 992B watches. My first serious pocketwatch is one of these "clean up run" 992B's. It was purchased at retail in 1970 - fully 2 years after the factory shut down.

I have another Hamilton which I keep suspended by springs in a metal cannister with a plastic viewing window used in aviation to protect the watch from various bad influences. That one is a bit nicer, so I mostly keep it "on the shelf" - but it comes out every now and then. Mostly, it's part of a collection of items referencing my father's Pacific campaign (aircraft mechanic - the second wave to arrive at every little island).

Finally, I have a nearly identical watch (made to the same mil spec) by Elgin. It's in marginally better condition than this one (the dial has more "snap" to it), but I am a Hamilton guy at heart.

So, for the next 11 days, while I am time-zone-challenged, I will depend on this watch to keep me grounded in GCT. Saturday...and Sunday...I make the switch from GCT-5 to GCT+2. The whole point of a GCT watch is to *not* reset it, ever. No matter where you are on the globe, GCT just keeps plugging along. Even London is not on GCT at the moment (unless I've miscalculated, London is now GCT+1). Something about "Summer Time, and the living is easy".

Quiz question #1: what is the difference between GMT and GCT?

Quiz question #2: what WAS the difference between GMT and GCT?

Never fear - once I arrive there are 3 WW coming along for the ride which will be set to local time. They are fickle. This one is constant. It says GCT on the dial, so that's how it should be set!

Name:  Hamilton4C110290_5Sep2015.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  83.3 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.