Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B&R Bands (bandrbands.com) - any experience?

B&R Bands (bandrbands.com) - any experience?

I've had my head turned. First there was lyonk's hand-made straps, then most recently there was CFR's strap from Canadian Straps -

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...traps-%28KC%29

The style looks perfect for the Speedmaster - old but not ancient, basic but not crude.

I'm aware that Hodinkee markets a similar strap, but I'm never going to pay close to 100 for a strap. WatchObsession does one at 84 - also more than I'd be prepared to pay. Both of those straps taper to 16mm and I'd rather a 20mm/18mm taper. Hodinkee says his straps are made in Tuscany, WatchObsession says his straps are made in Lucca, which is in... Tuscany. I suspect they're more than similar.

The B&R strap tapers from 20mm to 18mm and costs a rather more appealing 46 (although still more than I've ever paid for a strap).

Here's the B&R -

Name:  IMG_20150526_1028221.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  175.3 KB

I've never had a 'raw-edged' strap before and wonder if they get 'furry' with loose strands. I'd also want the strap to be soft, having once had a simple-cut strap that was bulky and uncomfortable at the buckle.

I could talk to Canadian Straps, but has anyone had one of these B&R straps?

2. Likes iyonk liked this post
    I've no experience with B&R straps. I like the strap that I received from CanadianStraps, a lot. But you can also browse the GLC web cat, the so called "vintage" (http://glcstraps.it/ ) ; they're very high quality. I got a few from: http://kellotarvike.com/products/leather-straps

I think they can easily match other, much more expensive brands. Fluco and Graf may be interesting (and inexpensive) but I'm afraid they're not exactly at the same level.
    Last edited by CFR; Sep 5, 2015 at 02:22 AM.

4. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Ooh - more straps to look at.

Thank you.

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    You're welcome.

How about one of these? They make darn cool straps...

http://www.suigeneric.com/collection...rap-collection

9. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Yep, have purchased multiple straps from b&r bands, they are great

Plus, they are one of the few shops who offer a large variety of XS straps in 20mm, 22mm, 24mm.

When I bought my PAM, I didn't have a 22mm strap at home and the OEM strap wouldn't fit. Ron (from b&r bands), who follows me on instagram, saw my post about it and when I placed an order on his website, he upgraded the order to overnight at no extra cost.
    Last edited by ck1109; Sep 5, 2015 at 07:30 AM.

11. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    For straps with 'raw' edges, that they go fuzzy or not over time is dependent on the type of leather used, and the finishing methods used on the strap. Some leathers, you just simply cannot burnish away the fuzz, and other leathers are made for it. In the middle are those that can be done as long as you use the right technique. Even with great leather, if you just cut the strap and leave it as is, it will eventually fuzz up. Using the strap I made for CFR as an example, once cut I gave it a once over with the French edger to bevel of the squareness of the edge, and then burnished dry with rosewood. Over time, the edges should hold up for the most part, but I did want a slightly raw look, hence burnishing dry. With some leathers, I will lightly oil the edges and then burnish in 2 or 3 stages using leather, wood, and then nylon. The edge then are so tight and smooth, you can almost see your reflection in them. They'll hold up like that forever, you have to be purposely destructive in order to undo the effect.

In a case like yours, if someone were specific enough about that to say something, then it would start to narrow options and I would present leather types that either promoted tight or raw, fuzzy edges depending on what was desired. If you're going to pay significantly for an artisan strap, the conversation shouldn't be offside to have with whomever you are thinking of buying from.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

13. Likes meijlinder, iyonk, CFR, tribe125, Nokie, Seriously liked this post
    Really great responses - every one of them.

This one:

Yep, have purchased multiple straps from b&r bands, they are great
    could have me flashing the plastic.

Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Really great responses - every one of them.

This one:

could have me flashing the plastic.

Thanks to all.
    This one's my favorite though. http://www.bandrbands.com/20mm-class...nut-khaki.aspx

16. Likes iyonk, tempocalypse liked this post
    Two more leather strap makers I like:

www.basandlokes.com
    www.bulangandsons.com