Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Montreal.

Old Montreal.

I can't possibly come close to Tribe's incomparable Krakowpost, but I recently returned form one of North America's jewels, Montreal. It is one of only two or three cities in Canada and the US that does not feel like it is in North America, the other two being Quebec City and parts of New Orleans. Arguably those parts of New Orleans remind one of Old Montreal since the first Frenchmen down there were from Montreal.

My new camera was about week or two old so Montreal was a chance to put it through it\s paces.

P8210038 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8210037 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8210024 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8213166 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8213153 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8213151 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

2. Likes tribe125, BlackNomad, FuzzyB, popoki nui liked this post
    P8230309 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Olympic Stadium

P8230210 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Sunrise on Vieux Port, the geodisic dome from Expo 67 can be seen on man made Ile Notre Dame

P8230200wm by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Commune Street overlooks Vieux Port and most of the buildings are warehouses that have had many different tenants over the two or so centuries they have stood.

P8220145 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8220130 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    I like this photo mostly because I managed to salvage some type of image even though the shutter speed was much to slow and the image was wildly overexposed.

P8220097 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    The Chateau on top of Mount Royal. Note the squirrels in the rafters.

P8220062 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Just outside our hotel.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Sep 6, 2015 at 06:10 AM.

4. Likes meijlinder, BlackNomad, FuzzyB, popoki nui liked this post
    P8250591a by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Montreal seen from on the water in the harbour.

P8250482 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8250410 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    The oldest street in Montreal.

P8250455 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Commune Street.

P8250396 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8240381 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    The "M" in BMW, Montreal style. Bike. Metro. Walk.

6. Likes BlackNomad, FuzzyB, popoki nui liked this post
    P8260653 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Canadian National Bank.While Montreal is very cosmopolitan the skyscrapers are not that tall. This is one of the taller buildings at 435 feet. It is illegal to build anything taller than the cross on Mount Royal. The tallest building in Montreal has it's radio tower mounted sideways to avoid breaking that law. The black box in the bottom centre of this picture is the bank vault. It is joined to the building by a single tunnel and mounted on two stilts to prevent the basement break-ins that were so frequent when this tower was built.

P8260647 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8260645 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Bank of Montreal, Canada's first bank.

P8260643 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    This building is right on the edge of old Montreal and quite close to Chinatown. It has a wonderful, and super fun, Japanese restaurant that is full of wind up tin robots.

P8260621 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

8. Likes Nokie, BlackNomad, FuzzyB, popoki nui liked this post
    I have a lot of business in Montreal, so I'm there every month or so. Unless it is the winter, I basically refuse to go there when there is notable snow: they get just as much of it as we do, but in the old city the streets are so small, they have nowhere to put it, so getting around is a nightmare and the city has a sour vibe.

Great photos. I hear that 'the Big Owe' should be paid off sometime soon... just kidding! They got that $1.5B paid down in just 30 years!
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Thanks. One of the few good things about winter here is that we don\t really get much snow, or precipitation all year round, and what snow we do get tends to be dry and light. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Montreal in winter.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Sep 6, 2015 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    My new camera was about week or two old so Montreal was a chance to put it through it\s paces.

It works.

Great pictures.

12. Likes Henry Krinkle, FuzzyB liked this post
    Beautiful pictures Henry. Love the last one with the Triumph.

Looks like a beautiful area.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

In such a scooter town the Triumph was a bit of a surprise.

Happily unadjusted 😜 popoki nui's Avatar
    Lovely photos, Henry. I love Montreal in particular, and Quebec in general; really a unique place, but don't get me started on their language policies. Last time I was in Montreal (Laval, actually), it was midwinter; I left +14C sunny weather at home and landed in -20C weather with a metre of snow. A bit of a shock, but it was quite beautiful with the snow, and sunny cold skies. I wouldn't be able to deal with that for more than a few days, though. Too old and soft, now.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Hamilton Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen

Like IWL on Facebook!

16. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post