Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 116000 Full Review

116000 Full Review

So, you've no doubt seen me splashing my latest watch all over the forum recently, but as I've had it over a month now I thought I would do a full review.

The Oyster Perpetual is easily overlooked within the Rolex range, so how did I come to purchase this model? Well, I was looking for a new watch to add to my collection and had quite a long "short list". The Oyster Perpetual was there as it ticked a number of boxes; classic looks, no date, versatile, good quality, relatively dressy and a little different. In the end I decided I probably really wanted another Rolex, and it was between the 116000 and the Explorer. After trying both I decided the Explorer was just too like my 14060M and would not add much (other than a great watch) to my collection at this point. So, I pulled the trigger on this beauty:

It has the same basic movement as my Sub, but with a few modifications that have come in across the range in recent years. It benefits from the new bracelet and is 36mm. The colour of the face is Red Grape.

Yes, that face. That's what gets most attention. It's still relatively uncommon and manages to be striking and subtle in one go. It really has collected a lot of praise.

It can appear anything between pink and black, depending on the light. The applied markers are beautiful, giving a real depth to the dial. The lack of a date window adds a lovely sense of balance to the watch too. The lume is good and bright, if not as bright as the Sub's.

It has the 3130 movement, the same as my Sub. This one doesn't have the slack I have seen previously when adjusting the hands, which is nice. It has been in to be regulated (and it had a weaker mainspring fitted and a "loose screw" dealt with) as it was somewhat erratic. It's now settled at +3 seconds or so per day, which I'm happy with.

The bracelet is in another league to the old hollow end link models with their pressed steel clasps, as I'm sure you've heard before. I have not found the older design to be an issue, but this is a definite step up for Rolex. It adds some more weight to the watch too, making the feel heavier than an older model two tone Datejust I have worn before.

The clasp is very sturdy, secure and reassuring, but on this base model it does not include any of the new fancy adjustment methods some other models benefit from.

So, it's a 36mm. Some people consider that small in today's world. I was a little concerned about this at first, but it really has great wrist presence. I think that this is due partly to the size of the face and crystal, which is the same as my 14060's. I think the size of the face dictates how a watch wears much more than its overall size including the bezel. It has a fantastic mix of polished and brushed surfaces, giving the watch a good degree of glamour.

In summary, I am very pleased with this watch. It is very versatile, bridging the gap between sports and dress watches so it will work in most situations. It's great with a suit or with jeans. In fact, it could be a perfect choice for a one watch person.

Perhaps this model doesn't deserve to be quite as overlooked as it is....?

Thanks for reading!
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

Classic but fresh, and all that a watch needs to be.

3. Likes OrangeSport, Chase liked this post

116000 Full Review

Great watch mate!
    I too like the size, it's a substantial watch. It has a similar size dial to a sub, so the proportions seem just right.
    I'm glad the OP is starting to get the recognition it deserves.
    Thanks for the review, enjoy!
    Mine has sub hands on it, as I had trouble reading it. Next service I might get the updated hands fitted like yours.

Last edited by Rusty; Sep 6, 2015 at 09:56 PM.

5. Likes OrangeSport, Smeagal, Chase liked this post
    That looks great with the blue dial and Sub hands Rusty..

7. Likes Rusty liked this post
    Excellent review and pictures. I've admired this one since you first posted it. That dial is something else. Reminds me of the Z Blue I had the way it interacts with the light and changes so dynamically. A wonderful pick up and I look forward to seeing and hearing more about it as time goes on.
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

9. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Thanks for the thoughts and great photos.

11. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Excellent review and pictures. I've admired this one since you first posted it. That dial is something else. Reminds me of the Z Blue I had the way it interacts with the light and changes so dynamically. A wonderful pick up and I look forward to seeing and hearing more about it as time goes on.
    Thank you. It does get great comments in real life too, which as we know is unusual.

36mm works fine for me, but it's a shame that the 39mm isn't the same dial for the larger wristed enthusiasts...

Great review. Thank you very much for sharing.

14. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Great review! The watch looks superb too. The no nonsense feel of the watch really seems to be evocative of Rolex of old more than the modern pieces (I say this as a fan of both modern and vintage rolex).

The omission of easylink extension is a little disappointing though, it is a really handy feature.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

16. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    The lack of Easylink is a shame, and did put a tick in the Explorer's box. In the end though, I don't have it on any other watches so I figured I could skip it this time too...