Likes Likes:  149
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WRUW Tuesday 7th. December

The Mk II

P1073320 copy copy2 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

2. Likes skywatch, mlcor, Tim., Strela167 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Well, we're, err, quite a bit older than that, and really want our next place to have everything on one floor so we can stay there as long as possible. Currently all our bedrooms and full baths are upstairs, and we realized what a problem that could be when I blew out my ACL a few years back. Most likely we're going to stay in this area (although it's not 100%), and if so, there just aren't any suitable (i.e. larger and newer) ranch homes here, so we probably will have to build. More expensive, but then we could get the layout we want, including a nice studio for me and a writing room for Mrs. Cor.
    @mlcor Interestingly, our new house has a fully functional single floor living area, with public spaces, kitchen, master bedroom and two bathrooms on the same floor. We certainly thought about this aspect, because Mrs. Skywatch has Parkinson's. Also the master bath has a shower that could be accessible if needed. The irony is that there are two other floors, above and below the main level, and the garden is full of hills. If we diminish in our abilities over the years, we can perhaps offer living spaces to a helper, rent them out, or leave them unused.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes mlcor, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Well, we're, err, quite a bit older than that, and really want our next place to have everything on one floor so we can stay there as long as possible. Currently all our bedrooms and full baths are upstairs, and we realized what a problem that could be when I blew out my ACL a few years back. Most likely we're going to stay in this area (although it's not 100%), and if so, there just aren't any suitable (i.e. larger and newer) ranch homes here, so we probably will have to build. More expensive, but then we could get the layout we want, including a nice studio for me and a writing room for Mrs. Cor.

We've had the same thoughts regarding single floor living, but it's mostly for senior dog(s) at this point. We will (hopefully) not need to worry about it for ourselves for a while.

I hope if you decide to build that it's after all the craziness with the increase in cost of supplies. It's one of the reasons we're trying to find something already built. I think we'll blow through our budget trying to build something.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    We've had the same thoughts regarding single floor living, but it's mostly for senior dog(s) at this point. We will (hopefully) not need to worry about it for ourselves for a while.

I hope if you decide to build that it's after all the craziness with the increase in cost of supplies. It's one of the reasons we're trying to find something already built. I think we'll blow through our budget trying to build something.
    It’ll be a while. First we have to decide where, then we’d have to find land, design and build. We had started the process before Covid, and then put it on hold. So we’ll start again in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll be a while. First we have to decide where, then we’d have to find land, design and build. We had started the process before Covid, and then put it on hold. So we’ll start again in the spring.

I hope you can find what you want. COVID has builders and suppliers very busy, I wouldn't want to price things to build a house right now.

Thank you for this photo. My wife was complaining about my small bookshelf size speakers by the television.

"Honey, come look at this".

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

9. Likes skywatch liked this post
    I hope you can find what you want. COVID has builders and suppliers very busy, I wouldn't want to price things to build a house right now.
    Oh, I imagine it’ll be 6-12 months before we start pricing things out again. We did have a casual discussion with a local builder we probably would use, and it does seem like things are starting to come off their peaks. Plus housing prices here in the Midwest didn’t go as nuts as some places, although they are higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if prices have dropped, some companies are still charging higher prices. I just had ~1200 sq ft of oak flooring laid down and finished in place in my primary bedroom/closets/sitting room. The quotes varied from $11,000-$20,000 for the same work.

Which one cost more, the flooring or the labor?

Even if prices have dropped, some companies are still charging higher prices. I just had ~1200 sq ft of oak flooring laid down and finished in place in my primary bedroom/closets/sitting room. The quotes varied from $11,000-$20,000 for the same work.