Likes Likes:  173
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you add to my collection?

I tried my mate's gulf Monaco the other day - really nice hunk of metal that thing was. Destro crown is weird but I like it a lot.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I tried my mate's gulf Monaco the other day - really nice hunk of metal that thing was. Destro crown is weird but I like it a lot.
    The newer ones are certainly bigger than mine—I believe 39mm vs. 37mm, which is a lot of surface area for a square watch as opposed to a round one—but they fit my wrist very well.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Goodbye SM300, hello Monaco.
    It feels inevitable, but I keep bumping into the issue that they’re not very common, so finding a used one at a good price feel impossible, and they’re so much more expensive than they were just even a few years ago that the sale of my SM300 wouldn’t cover it. So I’d have to sell now, exercise self restraint for a period of time until I’m ready to spend more again on a Monaco. Realistically, even after selling the Omega, with fees and shipping costs, I’d only be about halfway to a Caliber 11. But then again, I’m 0% of the way there now.

Well, I guess I still have a couple other watches I’ve had sitting around that I’ve been meaning to sell too, I’d put them up for sale at the same time. So they may help to make up the difference.

Blog Entries
    Crown and Caliber offered my ~$2,000 for my Breitling B-1, but only in store credit. ~$3500 for my Seamaster 300, but same deal, store credit only. I should have them quote my Ranger too, that way maybe I can turn the Breitling and Tudor into a Railmaster and the SM300 into some extra cash in my bank account by selling elsewhere.

Yup, I think this is what I’m going to do. They have a blue Railmaster on bracelet for $4,100, so between the B-1 and Ranger, I could be there for very little out of pocket.
    Last edited by Raza; Jul 2, 2022 at 02:21 PM.

6. Likes happyscrappyheropup, mlcor, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    It feels inevitable, but I keep bumping into the issue that they’re not very common, so finding a used one at a good price feel impossible, and they’re so much more expensive than they were just even a few years ago that the sale of my SM300 wouldn’t cover it. So I’d have to sell now, exercise self restraint for a period of time until I’m ready to spend more again on a Monaco. Realistically, even after selling the Omega, with fees and shipping costs, I’d only be about halfway to a Caliber 11. But then again, I’m 0% of the way there now.

Well, I guess I still have a couple other watches I’ve had sitting around that I’ve been meaning to sell too, I’d put them up for sale at the same time. So they may help to make up the difference.

Get your watches sold, then you have a pile of cash ready for when the right one comes along. If you have a bunch to sell and you find the right Monaco at the right price, you might hesitate because you know you need to move some pieces to fit it in to your colleciton.

8. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Get your watches sold, then you have a pile of cash ready for when the right one comes along. If you have a bunch to sell and you find the right Monaco at the right price, you might hesitate because you know you need to move some pieces to fit it in to your collection.
    makes sense thats how this happened sometimes by the time you sold your watches to buy the one you saw could be sold ,you might not have got as much as you thought you would get for your watches any number of other things could be the case ..having the dosh in hand makes it so much easier
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jul 2, 2022 at 04:29 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

10. Likes Raza liked this post
    Crown and Caliber offered my ~$2,000 for my Breitling B-1, but only in store credit. ~$3500 for my Seamaster 300, but same deal, store credit only. I should have them quote my Ranger too, that way maybe I can turn the Breitling and Tudor into a Railmaster and the SM300 into some extra cash in my bank account by selling elsewhere.

Yup, I think this is what I’m going to do. They have a blue Railmaster on bracelet for $4,100, so between the B-1 and Ranger, I could be there for very little out of pocket.

Do you wear the B1 at all? The reason I ask, is that it’s now of a vintage that wouldn’t be that easy to replace (with a good one) if you missed it.

On the other hand, am I right in thinking the movements have a finite life and can’t be replaced?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Get your watches sold, then you have a pile of cash ready for when the right one comes along. If you have a bunch to sell and you find the right Monaco at the right price, you might hesitate because you know you need to move some pieces to fit it in to your colleciton.
    That certainly seems like the thing a responsible person with self control would do. I’m not sure that’s me, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Do you wear the B1 at all? The reason I ask, is that it’s now of a vintage that wouldn’t be that easy to replace (with a good one) if you missed it.

On the other hand, am I right in thinking the movements have a finite life and can’t be replaced?
    The movements can be replaced, I’m fairly certain. And there doesn’t seem to be much of a market for them (and what they’re offering in store credit is significantly more than I paid for mine years ago). But no, I don’t wear the B-1 at all anymore. At 43mm it’s just a little too big and heavy for me. I try to keep my maximum width at 42mm, Plus, if I’m honest, it was always a substitute for the Breitling I actually wanted the Airwolf Raven. Which now I assume would have the same size and weight issues the B-1 has.

That certainly seems like the thing a responsible person with self control would do. I’m not sure that’s me, though.
    In this crowd, you're a model of watch buying restraint.

15. Likes Raza liked this post