Likes Likes:  302
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Rado

Wow! That is quite a chunk of metal there, Scott!
    Would look great with flamboyant colourful shirt cuff, I'm thinking :-)
    I hear some people get their left cuffs tailored to accommodate a big watch, worth it if you love the look
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Wow! That is quite a chunk of metal there, Scott!
    Would look great with flamboyant colourful shirt cuff, I'm thinking :-)
    I hear some people get their left cuffs tailored to accommodate a big watch, worth it if you love the look

The case isn't as chunky as, say, the NCC101 or 303 so doesn't carry its thickness quite so well imho. The NCC range is far more of a statement on your wrist.
    There was a discussion on WUS quite some time ago about having a slightly larger left cuff to accommodate a watch, personally I've never found it necessary.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Almost scored a Sabre but the price is beyond what I'm willing to pay because of the dial damage.

Peace,
    Preston

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Almost scored a Sabre but the price is beyond what I'm willing to pay because of the dial damage.

Peace,
    Preston

I've never seen a Sabre, Golden or otherwise, in real life but the have some pretty special faceted crystals from the pictures I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Something strange about that dial mate, it looks faded or damaged as the Balboa lettering is missing.
    The case looks immaculate though and I certainly have a spare Balboa dial or two in my back stock if the dial isn't all you hope.
    All is well

It's very difficult to see, requiring the watch to be held at just the right angle relative to the light, and I had to use a loupe. The facetted crystal (5 facets, not the 3 evident in the seller's pics) makes it all the more harder to see, and it is impossible to photograph, but the lettering BAL is just to the light of the "V" and BOA is just to the right. It is almost as though the lettering has been pressed into the texture of the dial. It is very fine but very precise.

I will pull the watch apart at some stage and try to photograph the dial without the distortion of the crystal. For now I'm just going to wear it and enjoy it. It is beautiful!!
    Last edited by Harry Moon; Dec 1, 2015 at 01:37 PM.

7. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
    All is well

It's very difficult to see, requiring the watch to be held at just the right angle relative to the light, and I had to use a loupe. The facetted crystal (5 facets, not the 3 evident in the seller's pics) makes it all the more harder to see, and it is impossible to photograph, but the lettering BAL is just to the light of the "V" and BOA is just to the right. It is almost as though the lettering has been pressed into the texture of the dial. It is very fine but very precise.

I will pull the watch apart at some stage and try to photograph the dial without the distortion of the crystal. For now I'm just going to wear it and enjoy it. It is beautiful!!

Glad to hear it. Looking forward to the pics mate.

My pics are useless.

Here is a cropped detail of one of the sellers pics with the "BA" faintly visible and underlined.

Name:  Balboa.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  62.7 KB

I will try and get better hi-res pics tomorrow.

10. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    It looks like yours has suffered from a more advanced version of the problem I had on the purple Balbo I showed here.
    http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthread.php?t=2922

Did Rado every make a square Diastar in that very groovy pinkish gold color? Or where they only yellow gold or silver?
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Did Rado every make a square Diastar in that very groovy pinkish gold color? Or where they only yellow gold or silver?

I can't think of one but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one or two out there. The pink tc seems to be slightly more brittle than the other colours, I've seen a disproportionate number with cracks, which is why very few may have survived.