Likes Likes:  101
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Who died in 2022?

^^^

A great one, without a doubt. Formidable technique, but I generally preferred him when he wasn’t pushing the boundaries too hard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    ^^^
    A great one, without a doubt. Formidable technique, but I generally preferred him when he wasn’t pushing the boundaries too hard.
    I love those boundaries at the pushed edges. When I first heard his album "Karma" with Leon Thomas' yodeling vocals in "The Creator has a Master Plan", I felt a joy and connection that is very hard to describe.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

3. Likes Raza, wschofield3 liked this post
    There’s a very good chance that I wouldn’t buy an album called ‘Karma’ with vocalising about the Creator’s Master Plan.

That ‘spiritual jazz’ thing of the sixties leaves me cold, I have to say. I can’t connect to it in any way, so it sounds forced and over-declamatory. I’m not keen on multi-phonics either, so I’ve ended up just owning one Pharaoh Sanders album - ‘Africa’ - because it was recommended to me by a saxophone player. The first track is multi-phonic (with impressive control), but the rest is pretty straight, with a great version of Naima. I think Sanders may have been more orthodox in his later years, but have never followed him enough to know.

I think I would have enjoyed Pharaoh Sanders live, without wanting him in my living room.

Coolio: Michelle Pfeiffer and Snoop Dogg lead tributes to Gangsta's Paradise rapper https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63070138

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Blog Entries
    That’s so young. I admit I never listened to his music much, other than Gangsta’s Paradise, which is, of course, one of the all time great hip hop songs.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    other than Gangsta’s Paradise, which is, of course, one of the all time great hip hop songs.

It is. I first heard it in a hotel bar in Transylvania, which was populated by attractive young women who turned out to be prostitutes. A quite vivid memory.

8. Likes Raza liked this post
    Queen of Country music Loretta Lynn dies aged 90.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63134852

The coal miners daughter.

Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Everyone remembers her from that show, but she had an amazing career in movies and in the theatre, with a bunch of Tony awards.

12. Likes Raza liked this post
    I didn’t know she was English, and the daughter and granddaughter of English politicians.