Likes Likes:  101
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who died in 2022?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    Wow you were paying attention as a kid! JFK and Winnie were 1963 and 1965.

There are a couple of things that help me remember these events. We didn’t have a television, but my Aunt did. She rented it, as most people did, and on Friday evenings I was allowed to go round and watch it for a few hours. JFK was assassinated on a Friday, so there I was, ready for my weekly treat when programmes were suspended for a news announcement. The programmes didn’t return, and were replaced by a woman in a long dress playing mournful music on a piano. Lee Harvey Oswald ruined my weekly treat.

My aunt mostly watched things that I didn’t much like, but TV of any kind was magical. I remember watching Peyton Place, an American soap opera, which was unremittingly dreadful from my perspective. My first awareness of America probably came from Peyton Place - and from Fats Domino - I liked Fats Domino!

For Winston Churchill, my school had us making Winston Churchill scrap-books in the lead-up to the funeral. I watched it on TV, seeing his coffin being carried on a barge up the Thames. Unexpectedly, as the barge passed the docks, the upright arms of the cranes lowered one by one. I remember pointing at the TV screen, finding it very moving.

Years later, I discovered that this wasn’t a spontaneous gesture by the crane operators, coming in on a Saturday morning. The dock workers were no fans of Winston Churchill, seeing him as the kind of privileged aristocrat they’d had enough of. Most of the crane drivers had to be paid large sums of money to do it.

But the moon landings? They passed me by, for some reason. I’m still not much captivated by space, which is why I like the moon-watch Speedmaster without being remotely interested in its association with the moon.

If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

5. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Same here, actually. At 14, I should remember the moon landing well enough, but I don’t. Oddly, I do remember Yuri Gagarin which was earlier. I also have vivid memories of Kennedy’s assassination and the death of Winston Churchill, which were some years before the moon landing. It’s strange that it didn’t make an impression on me. I can remember more about the football of 1969 than the moon!
    It may have to do with access to television. They set one up in a camp building that was normally used for assemblies and shows -- and I remember it vividly.

I remember JFK's assassination, but those memories are cloudier. I do remember people in my neighborhood crying as l walked home from school (I was 8). I'm not sure, but I don't think I found out until I got home from school.

Churchill was hugely popular in the US for his role in WWII, but his death was not a huge event here. Anyway, I was 9 when he died and I don't recall it at all.

I remember the MLK and RFK assassinations vividly. I was 12, interested in politics and had done a bit of menial volunteering for presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy. '68 was such a turbulent year ...

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    More on Ronnie Spector.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/12/a...e=articleShare

Not quite as old as some here. Even though I was just a bit over a year old I remember JFK and years later the MLK assassinations. I have a form of a photographic memory so I can remember where is was when these happened. The moon landings were big memory for me given my father worked directly on several items for the Apollo program, and there where all sorts of moon landing items for kids at that time. Two years later I remember the Pittsburg Pirates (where we lived then) beating the Baltimore Orioles (Where I was born) for the World Series and Roberto Clemente throwing from the wall to home plate to get a runner out. He was MVP and died in a plane crash a little over a year later while doing charity work in Nicaragua. All of these I remember exactly where I was when the news came in.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Likewise I seem to have a vivid memory for certain events that I should have been too young to remember. I vividly remember the sound of the Grateful Dead (Warlocks) practicing in a garage behind our house, in the mid-60s, and most of the major assassinations. Like Michael I was only 1 when JFK was killed, but I remember being on the living room floor with my mom glued to the little B&W TV screen. Apollo was vivid for me, because I was a huge fan of the space program. Likewise, my father was doing aerospace research (radio propagation mostly) and we had a satellite in the back seat of the car for a few weeks, as he was preparing some LF sensors for it. I at ages 4-6 wrote fan letters to Buzz Aldrin, Frank Borman, Alan Shepard and Neil Armstrong, and I still have signed photos and embroidered badges in return.
    Last edited by skywatch; Jan 14, 2022 at 07:22 PM.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

11. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Like Michael I was only 1 when JFK was killed, but I remember being on the living room floor with my mom glued to the little B&W TV screen.
    Dang, you guys are young. I was five, and remember it quite well, or at least my mom's reaction.

13. Likes skywatch liked this post