Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Black plastic and digits. Must be cheap.

Black plastic and digits. Must be cheap.

Taking a pause while cutting trees, I realised I could no longer get away with the globular Casio DW-290. Not even in a thicket. Too cartoonish, and too young. Next day in town I saw the perfect replacement.

It's the Casio W-800 - a prince amongst plastic watches.

Name:  Casio W-800 500.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  200.8 KB

It has dual time, making it good for travel, and you can lob it into the tray at airport security scanners. It has a stopwatch and an alarm. Whatever it's doing, it shows the time. It can be my hospital watch. Everybody needs a hospital watch - a watch that's no real loss if it goes missing, or is knocked off a bedside locker when a nurse is putting up a drip. And it's great for cutting trees.

Only one downside - the strap would fit a polar bear, but a craft knife and a couple of clamped coins took care of that.

Tree cutting, travel and hospitals. Trust Casio to make a watch that's perfect for all three.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It can be my hospital watch. Everybody needs a hospital watch - a watch that's no real loss if it goes missing, or is knocked off a bedside locker when a nurse is putting up a drip.
    It's a sad state of affairs if this is what it's come to .... thinking about 'a suitable hospital watch' ....... do you visit *that often when you're older?.......

And it's great for cutting trees.
    I'm sure a saw would be best for this task, not quite sure how you're gonna get the watch to do it.............. .... but maybe Casio's have come on a bit........

3. Likes -JP liked this post
    Blog Entries
    It's true, we all need a beater for those times when we can't be bothered about scratches or loss. Casio to the rescue!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

5. Likes iyonk, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    It's a sad state of affairs if this is what it's come to .... thinking about 'a suitable hospital watch' ....... do you visit *that often when you're older?.......

Sadly, many do. My uncle spent his last two years in hospitals and care homes, my mother about six months out of the last two years. I remember taking my uncle's watch to him and he was instantly more relaxed once oriented in time.

Serious stuff probably doesn't belong in this thread, so maybe I'll do another thread on the hospital watch.

I used to have that W-800 with gold/yellow color theme.. and i really like it... the only thing that would make it perfect for me was if the crystal is not a scratch magnet acrylic..
    i gave it to my niece and she wear it very often..

got this world time AE-1000 as a substitute, and it is a great inexpensive casio with rich features.. from beater to inexpensive travel watch..
    it has 4 assignable timezone accessable in home time/front menu, full feature world time, 5 alarms and hourly chimes (and muteable button beep for discrete), 24h timer and stowatch and amber LED backlight.
    Name:  DSCN2252.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  54.6 KB

not bad at all for sub $20 .. a reliable digital watch with 10 years battery (i believe would last for more).. and mine is about +1sec/month..

yeah, i'm dorky..

8. Likes skywatch, BlackNomad liked this post
    I would love to be suddenly handed a NOS example of this

I had one when I was around 11 years old, which wasn't a very happy time for me - but I was thoroughly preoccupied by this watch and seeing one now would unleash a Proustian/Pavlovian torrent that would be.....educational. I'm rather short of memories for the three years I was 10, 11, 12.....hmm maybe for good reason. OK, let's amend that wish. I would like to be handed a NOS example of this very suddenly, with a top quality hug immediately on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    It's true, we all need a beater for those times when we can't be bothered about scratches or loss. Casio to the rescue!
    ^^^ Agreed; though I still prefer hands on mine:
    Name:  Casio01.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  53.3 KB
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

11. Likes BlackNomad, I-B liked this post