Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Girard-Perregaux and Ulysse Nardin management buyout

Girard-Perregaux and Ulysse Nardin management buyout

Saw a news story today that G-P and UN are being sold by Kering (current owners) to management. It will be interesting to see what happens next. I've always liked some UN pieces, but I've never pulled the trigger on one. If I'm typical, maybe that's why they're being sold again.

2. Likes skywatch, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I have been somewhat obsessed with the UN brand for decades, but the offerings in the last 10 years have left me numb. I suspect that they were trying for marketing "coolness" or trying to follow trends that marketing people were feeding them. I would have bought a modern version of a watch they might have sent to the US Navy in 1956. I like modernist designs, but I didn't particularly like UN's modernist designs. I look forward to seeing what happens with this. Hopefull.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Blog Entries
    I’ve always admired UN’s bolder design choices, but not in a way that motivated to spend money on them.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

5. Likes hayday, ctimrun liked this post
    I've considered both UN and GP divers many times over the years. Both are a little out there and a bit cluttered in their designs for divers. I would never pay MSRP for either and the grey prices on both were generally a bit above hitting the buy button when they were in the cart. Both don't do that great on value retention if they did not work out. There always seemed to be something better or more interesting to buy in their place. That is probably why they are up for sale again. UN US headquarters is in Boca Raton FL and I would drive by it about once a week or more when I lived there. It's a rather large building yet I've never run across anyone that works there or someone who knew someone that worked there. They did have a boutique in the Boca Mall, but I'm not certain if it is still open?
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

UN maintains pretty high production standards compared to others at their price point, particularly with their manufacture movements.

This is “modernist?”

To me, this is a classic.

GP is harder for me—I live them but prices are higher than UN and I don’t see that level of detailing on the movement.

Rick “who did by the UN second-hand, of course” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

8. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    I like that reference @Rdenney.

Like others, I'm a UN and GP fan, just never had a specific watch that was right for my wrist. I like the GP Diver that one of the guys here has, just too large for my small wrist. Hopefully the sale will allow them to thrive. The more choices, the better for us buyers.

For me, UN is somewhat like Breitling used to be; polarizing designs people are passionate about, or really dislike, most being in the camp of the latter. Even among some of their more traditional offerings, things like integrated bracelets and metal inserts in rubber straps, not everyone’s cup of tea. Models like the Freak are admired for innovation, but largely not appealing nor priced for the average WIS.

Never owned a GP, did have a couple JR. Movement aside, fit and finish is comparable, which is to say excellent. I just find many GP designs derivative, and for the price, I’d go
    more for the inspiration than the homage.

Regarding both brands, resale, which I consider an unfortunate inclusion within the lexicon of this hobby, is subpar, dissuading many from purchasing new. The typical comments I hear are, “I wouldn’t buy new but perhaps at a reasonable preowned price.”

Both have positioned themselves as upmarket niche brands, where sales will never be high, and resellers will have buyers remorse. Tough spot to be in, they failed to break into that upper tier, perhaps a move downmarket is in order.

11. Likes tribe125, happyscrappyheropup liked this post