Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two things.

Two things.

I just came cross this photo of the dial I swapped out of my Diastar10/Diamaster.

Thing one...

Name:  P8240146.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  36.6 KB

the markers make it appear that a spider was living in it at one time...

Thing two...

Should I try to find this and even with my bad eyesight, attempt to remove the markers, anchor, date window and Diastar applique and then strip and refinish it?

I feel like I have nothing to lose wrecking this dial as I already have a NOS satin dial with the Diamaster logo printed on my Diamaster

What say you?

Kind of wish I had my blue dial 505 to compare. Most of the overpriced overpolished blued dialed jobbies have the blue quite wrong and that would bug me.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Jan 28, 2022 at 09:12 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

2. Likes Tim. liked this post
    I say, yes, it sounds like a worthwhile experiment, go for it. The only thing that would need reprinting is the Swiss made. Not entirely sure how one goes about refitting the anchor, however as it's alloy and not ruby, it shouldn't present too much of a challenge.
    P.S. I could send you my blue 505 dial, it's quite marked but the edges are still the original vivid blue and, if successful, perhaps I could commission you to refinish it, if you ever have time.

Name:  IMG20220129085535 (1).jpg
Views: 111
Size:  69.2 KB
    Last edited by Tim.; Jan 28, 2022 at 09:14 PM.

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    The anchor is the easy part. You just push it out from the front and it will pop out the back, and then just pop it back in after. With my eyesight those tiny holes that one aligns the markers to are going to be the hard part.

Your dial would be much appreciated. I'd do mine and then yours immediately afterwards.

I will do this on my LED UV printer, so I would do the SWISS MADE right after the blue. The biggest problem with this printer is that it doesn't give a super smooth finish, so I have to put enough ink on that I can finish sand it with 200 grit and then polish it.

It would be a fun project.

Okay Hank, sounds great, just pm or email your postal address and I'll send it on over.

7. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Let me see if I can find the dial and then we'll go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

My opinion, for what it's worth as you've already resolved to do it, is that you should go for it.
    The blue used by Rado back in the day was notoriously unstable, but much more vivid than that used by so many other brands.
    I look forward to seeing the results of both.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    My opinion, for what it's worth as you've already resolved to do it, is that you should go for it.
    The blue used by Rado back in the day was notoriously unstable, but much more vivid than that used by so many other brands.
    I look forward to seeing the results of both.

If you've got a crappy blue dial that you do not particularly care about you should send it along too.

12. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Found it. Message sent.

You should know it took about five years to do Brad's dial...

14. Likes scottjc liked this post
    If you've got a crappy blue dial that you do not particularly care about you should send it along too.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure that I do.
    I'll certainly have a look though.

If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches