Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In a quandary about ladies ...

In a quandary about ladies ...

...watches, that is. I'd appreciate your help.

I have been asked by a dear friend (a woman of a certain age) for a watch recommendation, and I confess to being stumped. There are any number of men's watches that would fit the bill, but I'm having some difficulty finding this in a ladies' size.

The lady in question is looking for a reasonably dressy looking watch that has enough water resistance to be safe for a swim, with some sort of timer (chrono perhaps, or a dive bezel). The objective is to be able to time her walks and her swimming. I did suggest a true swim watch, like my wife's Garmin, but she would prefer something more elegant, with a stainless bracelet. If a chrono, it would not be necessary to start/stop in the water; she's not timing laps, just tracking her exercise time.

Preferences:

Smallish size (slender-wristed lady), but not so small as to be unreadable with her eyes no longer possessing the eagle-like acuity of youth. I'm thinking <= 32mm or so.
    Good legibility
    Dressy enough for daily/evening wear
    SS or similar bracelet
    Quartz, preferably with eco/solar technology if possible, analog
    Some timing function, whether bezel or chrono
    Water resistant, sufficient for laps in the pool
    Timer actuated alarm would be the bee's knees, though I don't know if it would be likely to find this.

Her stated budget is "around" $300, though I'm sure some stretch could be accommodated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited by dbakiva; Sep 15, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
    As it now stands:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR

2. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I'm sure Casio have an answer; I just don't know what model off the top of my head
    My first thoughts were the 'Sheen' range, but don't think they're up to the laps in the pool
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Thanks, Crownpuller. I think you're right though about the water resistance. The ones I saw are 50m; not quite safe enough I think.

Still looking for any recommendations.

I did just come across something that looks like a good candidate, but I think it's JDM, so she wouldn't have a chance to try one on.
    I'd much prefer something I can get domestically, preferably from an AD or established GM seller.

But otherwise, I think it hits most of the points:

Name:  pma56-2831.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  44.9 KB
    Citizen PMA56-2831
    200m water resistance, rotating bezel, ecodrive
    Size is quoted at 30mm and elsewhere, 33.5mm

Seen anything like this?
    As it now stands:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    You might also look at Victorinox lady divers, for a reasonably priced Quartz watch (available at Jomashop and a lot of ADs.) At a higher price range, but available at places like Jomashop, are Oris lady divers (automatic though) and an Omega Lady Seamaster or Aqua Terra. The latter, however, even in Quartz, are pricey. Longines also has some nice divers for women, but again, a bit more pricey.
    Last edited by JAGtime; Sep 10, 2015 at 05:25 PM.

7. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    TISSOT PRC 200 ASIAN GAMES SPECIAL EDITION 2014 LADY QUARTZ CHRONO SILVER DIAL WATCH WITH STAINLESS STEEL BRACELET

Item number T0552171103200

Smallish size (slender-wristed lady), but not so small as to be unreadable with her senior eyes. I'm thinking <= 32mm or so........... (34 mm)
    Good legibility........................................ .................................................. .................................................. ........................................... (Red chrono hands - doesn't get any more legible)
    Dressy enough for daily/evening wear.............................................. .................................................. ..................................................(as long as she not going to posh)
    SS or similar bracelet.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    Quartz, preferably with eco/solar technology if possible, analog............................................ .................................................. .............(eco/quartz is just to limiting)
    Some timing function, whether bezel or chrono............................................ .................................................. .......................................(genuine chrono - JUST LIKE A SPEEDY PRO!!!!)
    Water resistant, sufficient for laps in the pool .................................................. .................................................. .....................................(200 meters, Screw down crown)
    Timer actuated alarm would be the bee's knees, though I don't know if it would be likely to find this.............................................. ........

Her stated budget is "around" $300, though I'm sure some stretch could be accommodated...................................... ............................ (575 list price, sure it could be found for 425 - 440)

9. Likes JAGtime, dbakiva liked this post
    Something from Christopher Ward perhaps?
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

11. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    Blog Entries
    How about a ladies' Victorinox Dive Master?
    http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Watches...in%3A379305011

Not on a bracelet and big at 38mm, but it should handle what she wants to do with it easily, and it's got a bezel for timing her swimming.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    And these dirt cheap Casios will do what she wants--no bracelet again, but only 33mm.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Womens-L...rds=Dive+watch

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Womens-L...rds=Dive+watch

I hate to say it, but this $50 Invicta seems to tick every box.

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Womens...in%3A379305011

Blog Entries
    Whoa, ding ding ding.

http://www.amazon.com/Momentum-Women...in%3A379305011

Momentum, on a bracelet, dive watch with bezel, and about 30mm.

A little bigger, a little more expensive.

Still Momentum. Seems like they're a good choice in this range.
    Last edited by Raza; Sep 11, 2015 at 11:17 PM.

15. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    Nice call, Raza. I hadn't thought of the Momentum, even though I had a Format 4 ana/digi for a bit a few years back. I'll pass those pics along to her.

Still, I'm liking that Citizen JDM I posted a bit higher up in this thread. It's an older model, and would have to come from Japan, so some concern about service or return, so your suggestions might be an excellent alternative.

And Don, thanks for the Tissot lead. They also make a similar one in mother of pearl, which she may also like. I think they may be too big for her though, she's a petite woman of retirement age. I'm thinking that the bezel would be an easier elapsed-time method than a chronograph.

Thanks, Nokie. Christopher Ward does have some nice things, but I didn't see one under 38mm.

And Jane, thanks also. I'll look into the ladies Victorinox as well.

Still happy to entertain any suggestions, but thanks so much to you folks.

Big Hugs to you all:
    Last edited by dbakiva; Sep 12, 2015 at 01:05 PM.
    As it now stands: