Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortic Watches - Waaaaaay Cool!

Last edited by RBrylawski; Sep 10, 2015 at 11:19 PM.
    B&M Capeland Flyback/Muhle Glashutte 29er Big/Grand Seiko SBGR083/JeanRichard Aquascope/UTS 1000m V2/Ebel 1911 BTR Cal137/Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso/Lew & Huey Acionna

2. Likes BlackNomad liked this post
    Interesting, I had not seen those before.
    I really like the idea of using vintage movements, make that vintage, American movements. (Hamilton - yeah! Waltham - yeah. Elgin - interesting too.) Though I wonder how much work they are putting in those old movements that didn't have much shock protection. Article doesn't say.
    And the design is distinctive if nothing else.
    But at 47 to 51 mm they lost me..

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Interesting, I had not seen those before.
    I really like the idea of using vintage movements, make that vintage, American movements. (Hamilton - yeah! Waltham - yeah. Elgin - interesting too.) Though I wonder how much work they are putting in those old movements that didn't have much shock protection. Article doesn't say.
    And the design is distinctive if nothing else.
    Yes, they are a bit large, and likely unnecessarily so. But I love the idea of having an American made vintage movement in a watch. Yes I do!
    B&M Capeland Flyback/Muhle Glashutte 29er Big/Grand Seiko SBGR083/JeanRichard Aquascope/UTS 1000m V2/Ebel 1911 BTR Cal137/Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso/Lew & Huey Acionna

5. Likes hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Kind of reminds me of the RJ Titanic series, actually.
    Last edited by Raza; Sep 11, 2015 at 01:48 AM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Kind of reminds me of the TJ Titanic series, actually.
    ?? Not familiar with them.

That is a lot of money for converted pocket watch...
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    ?? Not familiar with them.
    Typo. Meant "RJ". Romain Jerome Titanic DNA. Not like they look like them, but reminiscent of the overall feel.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Cripes.

"Maybe the most stand-out design feature is the segmented case." - Yes, it's horrible.

"The cases have a rough, brushed appearance that suggests hand craftsmanship." - Hand, yes. Craftsmanship, no.

"The early demand for Vortic watches has been high, so the company is currently producing all watches to order." - We daren't make more than one at a time because we don't want to get stuck with them.

And then there's everything else.

11. Likes CFR, FuzzyB, Chase, crownpuller liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    They offer a model at 42mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortic
    The Boston comes in 42-mm and 51-mm editions, known respectively as the 021 and 024.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Typo. Meant "RJ". Romain Jerome Titanic DNA. Not like they look like them, but reminiscent of the overall feel.
    Went out and looked and I guess, if'n you squint there's a similarity, sort of, kind of. For me the interest is taking true American made movements and using them in a modern case, purpose built to feel old/authentic. Even if the cases are much larger than they might have been back in the day.