Likes Likes:  60
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rado: Model/ Caliber/ Data Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

Diastar 1 ref-623.0001.3 Rado movement code- 2773 (this is interesting in light of some of the other ETA 2783s on the list). ETA 2783, date/inventory code-407, July 1974
    This is both interesting and confusing at the same time. Looking at this page from Dr. Ranfft we can see that ETA 2783 is a member of the ETA 2773 family, further there's a photo of a Rado movement on the page date coded Sep '73 with a Rado 2797 cal stamped on it. Once again Rado has us going around in circles.

Note: The Rado example is quoted as ca. 1975, clearly the good doctor hasn't cracked the date code.
    Last edited by Tim.; Mar 10, 2022 at 09:03 PM.

2. Likes Henry Krinkle, SyntaxTerror liked this post
    It is a member of that family. They were often used as chronmeters back in the day as that family was known both for their durability and their accuracy.

I'll see if I can't snap some pictures of both movements in the next day or two.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

4. Likes Tim., SyntaxTerror liked this post
    The Diastar chronometer.

Name:  P3103289.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  84.9 KB

Notice the upgraded regulator in both this one and the next.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Mar 11, 2022 at 12:21 AM.

6. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Diastar 1

Name:  P3103292.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  80.2 KB

8. Likes Tim. liked this post
    The "0"'s AS 1701, built up from several dead ones. It runs like a champ even if it isn't a beauty queen. While it would have been easy to just pop in a running 1701 from any thrashed Rado it seemed appropriate to build one up after the adventure of building the dial, case and hands from a pile of dead things.

Name:  P3103295.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  69.3 KB

10. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Truly a Frankenstein. In the best possible way.

12. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Diastar 1

Name:  P3103292.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  80.2 KB
    Do my eyes deceive me or is that a number on your rotor? If so , that adds some fuel to this fire started by this quote from @SyntaxTerror "The watch in question has an ETA 2789 movement, but it also reads Rado caliber 2798-1. Further, the rotor is marked 10378 for some reason that eludes me."
    Last edited by Tim.; Mar 11, 2022 at 12:44 AM.

14. Likes Henry Krinkle, SyntaxTerror liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Do my eyes deceive me or is that a number on your rotor? If so , that adds some fuel to this fire started by this quote from @SyntaxTerror "The watch in question has an ETA 2789 movement, but it also reads Rado caliber 2798-1. Further, the rotor is marked 10378 for some reason that eludes me."
    Indeed it does. It seems to be a rubber stamp. I didn't mention it as I didn't want to spoil the surprise for you.

16. Likes Tim., scottjc, SyntaxTerror liked this post
    Indeed it does. It seems to be a rubber stamp. I didn't mention it as I didn't want to spoil the surprise for you.
    The number on mine is a punch stamp. I also strongly suspect it's not a factory stamp... or someone there was having an off day.

18. Likes Henry Krinkle, Tim. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SyntaxTerror View Post
    The number on mine is a punch stamp. I also strongly suspect it's not a factory stamp... or someone there was having an off day.
    Did you notice the engraving of the chronometer number on my DS1 chronometer? Hardly the best...

20. Likes Tim. liked this post