Likes Likes:  121
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Bay 58

Black Bay 58

Summer is coming and blue is the colour of nautical things and the coast. Sun on the sea, wind in the rigging, seagulls crapping on my car…

New watch.

Name:  0EC445F3-EDF2-4D36-BCAB-DA36D1EABC82.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  69.7 KB

I had swung this way and that with the BB58. It had never dropped far below ‘buy me’ (and always looked like a bargain), but one day I’d be all in favour of retro black, with its cosy glow - and the next day I’d be all in favour of modern blue, with its breezy maritime air. The Black Bay stayed on hold, pendulum swinging.

Finally, I’ve gone for blue. I like the autumn fireside glow of the black, but at times it can look like it has a thin coating of golden syrup. I’m never not going to see the syrup. The blue of the blue will always be a captivating blue. For tonal cohesion and clarity, blue is in another league. And the blue one is more Tudor, less Rolex.

Name:  8826E53F-E94A-403F-973A-F8CC40D8FEDE.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  78.6 KB

Stolen picture. Black and blue are different watches.

Name:  A4F37378-C898-4C66-9724-2C2E2ACCA56D.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  119.8 KB

No bracelet. Faux rivets are fine with a 50s look, but not so good with a 70s look (and the blue version is a 70s Marine Nationale, more or less). I also want the watch to be casual, almost carelessly casual, and the fabric strap is an interesting thing in itself, with its manufacture on creaky Jacquard looms. The strap showcases the period proportions of the case, the bracelet does a pretty good job of obscuring them.

I’m quite likely to mess about with straps, and at some point might not be able to resist scruffy brown leather. I’ve been without a strap-friendly watch for a while (my others are mostly fixed bars or 18/19mm). So no bracelet, and no faffing about with screwdrivers (only to discover that I need the half link that it hasn’t got). I also like the more casual price. £2,680? Why, that’s just £2,500 - for a seriously respectable watch. If I ever do want to try a bracelet, there are some affordable options. I think I might like a Staib mesh with a sliding clasp - half strap, half bracelet.

Name:  8A30645E-12A8-4B1C-BA46-DB22123CDF3E.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  171.1 KB

Stolen picture (from Ross Povey). Reunited after fifty years, two French Navy dive watches have a child. The Marine Nationale had a tighter budget than the Royal Navy, but had prettier watches. A similar choice can be made today. You can have Rolex, or Rolex in the real world with less than Omega prices.

It’s oh so obvious, buying a Black Bay 58, but the time is right and it’s marvellous. My first blue watch, and there couldn’t be a better blue for a better reason.

I’ll have to do some walking to keep it wound.

Name:  AD738975-53AD-4F29-945B-F28EBE0C6C13.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  46.2 KB

Collection now -
    Name:  762CC136-C0AA-4F29-8501-52FA7EA67C5F.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  88.6 KB
    Not quite so ‘British Military plus’. And Switzerland makes a comeback.

Congrats, it's a beautiful addition to your impressive collection!

4. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    Definitely fits a nice niche in an excellent collection. Very happy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I have also been eying that particular configuration ever since it came out, and I think it's a perfect candidate for a scruffy leather strap. After trying on @geoffbot's black one, I have come even closer. I promised myself I would get a bit farther out from the home purchase to let my bank account recover. It's such a lovely thing! Congratulations!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

8. Likes tribe125, geoffbot, iyonk liked this post
    Congrats Alan! I really like these BB58s and the blue is a stunner for sure.

Incredible addition to your amazing collection.
    Cheers,

Chris

10. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    Very nice. Beats boring black any time

12. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

14. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    Nice pickup, congrats.

It looks good on an Iyonk (Not mine anymore).

16. Likes tribe125, skywatch, iyonk, hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Lovely choice! You might just be pushing me over the edge towards one myself.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

18. Likes tribe125, iyonk, gnuyork liked this post