Likes Likes:  85
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Approach to the "I have a cell phone and don't need a watch" crowd

Blog Entries

Approach to the "I have a cell phone and don't need a watch" crowd

How do you approach these folks? I often tell people about my collection and they tell me they don't wear a watch because they have a cell phone. I'm tempted to hit them over the head with my large watch.

ETA: It just happened to me so I thought it might make a good topic.

2. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Just tell them you don't need a phone, and then proceed to make a call from your watch

Blog Entries
    You could offer to take all those junky old mechanical watches their parents handed down to them, since they have no use for them?
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

5. Likes 93EXCivic, JAGtime, samael_6978 liked this post
    I went camping at a festival. My phone ran out after day 1 but I needed to know the times of the acts so knowing the time was essential. I took a diver in case it was bad weather, a chronograph so I could time the acts, a day-date in case I forgot the day (possible, considering what we consumed) and a dress watch so I could annoy the forum and wear it with shorts and wellies. Essential.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Tell them their phone will be useless within 24 hours of the Zombie apocalypse and you'll be easily tell them time and navigate to your preppers den. for years after...

these folk really need to wake up to the world around them

8. Likes Broker, BillyR___ liked this post
    At the risk of being banned
    Apart from geoffs point with battery life (which can be helped at least a few days with an external battery ), they kind of have a point.

There's no need for a watch to tell the time today. I still wear them and enjoy them (or I wouldn't be here) , but for *just* telling time a cell phone is enough.

Lose them as a friend....

Better still lose them in a woods, near a little lagoon, make sure you can't see any of the body.....

I've gone too far haven't I.....

11. Likes watchdaddy1, BigSeikoFan liked this post
    Do people honestly do this? I don't know anyone who does. 90% of the people I know wear a watch and the others can't tell the time anyway!
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

Really though watches are jewelry or why would we have more than 1, and why not an f-91w. And why are we here?!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I went camping at a festival. My phone ran out after day 1 but I needed to know the times of the acts so knowing the time was essential. I took a diver in case it was bad weather, a chronograph so I could time the acts, a day-date in case I forgot the day (possible, considering what we consumed) and a dress watch so I could annoy the forum and wear it with shorts and wellies. Essential.
    Excellent restraint only taking 4 watches camping at a festival. Standard protocol would dictate at least 6 under the circumstances.

I think of it comes down to the lifestyle of the person. I spend lots of my day near a screen that will give me accurate time, even without using my phone. But plenty of other times I am actively doing something where using my phone is not practical. If I am mountain biking, on the soccer field, mowing grass, swimming, etc., my phone may be in the vicinity, but not on my person so I can glance at it quickly. If you are someone who really doesn't do any activity without having a phone in your hand or pocket, then it's hard to argue for wearing a watch unless you just like having one on.

15. Likes geoffbot, I-B liked this post