Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rose Anniversary

Rose Anniversary

Our favorite salesperson at the Movado Store is leaving today, and we got one last Labor Day sale deal before reducing our visitation there dramatically. And this month is our 15th anniversary. We carefully consulted experts (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_anniversary) and discovered that watches are considered the official gift for this particular occasion. I am not making this up. The material signifying this anniversary is crystal, as it happens.

It gets even better. The official flower gift is the rose. Yes, you read that right. No, I am not making this up.

So, with no recourse but to move a bit closer to financial ruin, my wife found herself working it out with our favorite salesperson, and well, what are you gonna do?

She selected a titanium and rose gold Concord C1 Chronograph for me, and a stunning steel and rose gold (plus a veritable plethora of diamonds) Ebel Brasilia Grande for herself. I was out of state when this plan was hatched, and was also out of state on the actual day of our anniversary. So, on Wednesday, I started getting text messages.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442602150.785029.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  194.4 KB

Now, I'm standing in front of a class of engineers and technicians and had to keep my mind on what I was doing. But it wasn't easy!

This Concord is recent, and it is in the current catalog.

This one has a tiny flaw, which is why it found its way into the Movado Company Store. The result was that this $17,000 was priced where it was within reach, and I mean better than any discount I've ever seen even at those stores (or on the gray market, for that matter). But it comes, of course, with a full factory warranty.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442602514.528447.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442602613.880783.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  89.5 KB

The case is 47mm, and 15.1mm thick, so it's size makes me glad I have a big wrist. It's slightly larger and more curvaceous than the first C1. The body of the case is Grade 5 titanium with a black PVD coating, and the substantial bezel is rose gold with a titanium band to hold the crystal. The crenellations are polished and everything else is brushed or bead-blasted. The pushers are ceramic, as is the crown insert. Black and rose gold really make a fetching combination.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442602901.509473.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  51.9 KB

The dial is particularly noteworthy. The guilloche is a pattern of rounded rectangles (drawn from the Concord "C") that are radially brushed on the tops. The subdials mimic the octagonal shape of the bezel, and are rose gold. The date window is a Concord "C" in gold.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442603269.026169.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  93.0 KB

The strap is similar in design to the first C1, attached to the side of the case with screws rather than using lugs. Without lugs, this massive watch will fit even moderate wrists.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442603467.057502.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  100.9 KB

The strap material is a rubber base sandwiched with matte-finish alligator. As such, it is a little richer than all rubber but just as durable, as long as you don't swim in it. But the watch can swim if you don't mind sacrificing the alligator--it is rated at 20 atmospheres. The watch is remarkably comfortable to wear, and not nearly as heavy as it looks.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442603803.191490.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  110.2 KB

The movement is an ETA Valgranges A07.211, which is a 16''' version of the 7750, I suspect finished by La Joux Perret to a very high standard. No, the movement is not haute horlogerie, but these days etablisseurs don't have a lot of choices. Concord makes a few thousand of these a year, and I'd rather have this movement than something built by a secret contractor and marketed as in-house, which happens all too frequently. The AP ROO, which is in a similar vein, has the high-end movement (at least it does now), but at a vastly higher price.

Here's the back (forgive the dust):

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442604224.030616.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442604320.144751.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  60.2 KB

And the excellent deployant:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442604519.131480.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  38.0 KB

The C1 in general and this one in particular makes a big statement, and it's unquestionably showy. I would not wear it in all circumstances. There was a time I derided these watches, and thought them a poor substitute for, say, a Hublot. But, in truth, this compares beautifully with Hublot, but without being called "Big Bang". Concord needed a Biver, I guess, to makes these concepts work in the market, but I don't mind wearing something with just about zero probability of seeing it on someone else's wrist, even at a WIS get-together.

And what could be better for the Crystal-Rose-Watch anniversary?

Rick "gonna be wearing this a lot" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Sep 18, 2015 at 07:53 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Congratulations on the Anniversary! That's wonderful. And so is your wife - wow what a presents.

Only one flaw you say, well OK but that glowing red LED at 4:30 on the bezel is gonna be hard to ignore.

3. Likes iyonk, Rdenney liked this post
    Very nice watch. Really like the work on the movement, not fancy, but flows together very well.

Enjoy!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

5. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Only watch people notice these little details, but I love that C shaped date window cutout.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

7. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Congratulations on the Anniversary! That's wonderful. And so is your wife - wow what a presents.

Only one flaw you say, well OK but that glowing red LED at 4:30 on the bezel is gonna be hard to ignore.
    That was actually an LED in a ceiling smoke detector where I was sitting with my iPhone making these pictures. It was reflected in the polished gold bezel, but was out of focus.

Rick "took a bit to figure that out" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Love that date window & the rotor cut-out is a great little detail & that strap is gorgeous.
    Congrats on your 15th & anni & the watch....
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

10. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    That was actually an LED in a ceiling smoke detector where I was sitting with my iPhone making these pictures. It was reflected in the polished gold bezel, but was out of focus.

Rick "took a bit to figure that out" Denney

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

12. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.
    Me? Never am I anything that requires more than 2 syllables.

I figured it was a reflection but the way it was so well centered made me think of an LED for some reason. That and I couldn't find any flaws in that lovely watch.

14. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    so, do we get to see the Redhead's watch, too?
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Congratulations on the anniversary and the new watch! Your wife is awesome!

17. Likes Rdenney liked this post