Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stowa Marine - auto vs manual

Stowa Marine - auto vs manual

Browsing the Stowa site, it appears that the Stowa Marine Classic manual is more expensive than the same watch as an automatic.
    Am I misreading? If not...why?

I actually prefer the handwind - but I'm not sure I want to pay MORE for the handwind than the auto!

[maybe I just answered the question???]
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Same movement iirc, they modify it and remove the auto winding, guess it's not only a case of removing the rotor. And that extra work pushes the price.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Same movement iirc, they modify it and remove the auto winding, guess it's not only a case of removing the rotor. And that extra work pushes the price.
    Stowa's web page claims the manual has a Unitas movement, and the auto has a 2824-2 in a choice of quality levels.

So...different movements.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

I paid a fair amount for a manual without thinking about that vs auto too much; that said I do see your point. Get the auto and remove the rotor - simples
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

The unitas used has "A high-quality hand-wound movement with screw balance and swan neck regulator, Geneva Stripes finish and blued screws"

The auto mentions none of these things.

Interesting.

I prefer handwind, myself, and have been generally happy to see others pay a premium for auto (lazy bums!) - This seems like this watch company thinks like I do! Quartz < Auto < Handwind!

I may have to buy one, just to demonstrate solidarity.

INCOMING

Name:  Stowa585.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  51.9 KB

I took the easy way out - this one is on it's way to me...at the same time that I am on my way to Berlin.

Here's hoping I get home before it arrives.

The crystal will need some work...or replacement. Don't know what else it will need.

old is good!

While I was at it...this one popped up. Also INCOMING:

Name:  Junghans620.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  3.5 KB

But, neither one will be in time for Saturday's party in Berlin, so I suppose I'll just have to shop when I get there. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

9. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Oh dear...did I forget to mention this one?

Name:  StowaParat.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  6.6 KB

11. Likes Nokie, FuzzyB liked this post
    ^^^^

You are doing your part to keep the watch economy going strong....

Nice selection.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx