Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Stowa Ikarus arrival (new to me)

Blog Entries

Stowa Ikarus arrival (new to me)

Just received a watch I have been looking at for a couple years now, but managed to resist until I saw a used one with the old logo and top blue-screw movement for a very good price. I guess I have no willpower at all. I love this artful take on the flieger, still toolish but with a unique gray metallic dial and very legible yet subtle light color scheme. This one was so affordable because of a few scuffs and dings, and I am using it as practice for subtle case refurbishing. I started that process with some fine grit carborundum and I'll work on matching the brushed finish over time.

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes Der Amf, FuzzyB, gnuyork liked this post
    Very nice, and as you say, very legible. Appropriate strap too - is it a Stowa strap or a replacement?

4. Likes skywatch liked this post
    On my phone the numerals and indices looked positively pistachio. On my computer things looking a bit more restrained, and in one photo definitely white. So I'm a bit confused. I've my fingers crossed that they are actually a nice pastelly green, but is that the lume added a touch of the off-whites to it?

6. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Nice pickup! That has always been an interesting take on the flieger, and from what I've heard, the dial is quite fetching in person.

8. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, folks! It is the original Stowa strap and buckle, which the previous owner never wore. He also sent two nice crown&buckle blue-stitch brown straps, but I'm gonna stick with the Stowa black until I see one of Iyonk's in the flesh. I suspect that'll be the match I'm waiting for. Der - the lume is just slightly greenish white, Superluminova C3 - not bright green, with hairline black edges that pop nicely off from the metallic flake gray. The dial really is the star of the watch - it sparkles just a bit in the sunlight but looks matte gray indoors, and the black highlights create a sharp precise coolness to things. In fact it's really quite subdued. It doesn't call attention to itself on the wrist, and I like that. The muted palate gives it a slightly more dressy feeling than toolish-military, which is why I was attracted to it.

10. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Great choice. Mine says hi...

Name:  IMAG0923.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  47.9 KB
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

12. Likes skywatch liked this post
    If I were to buy a flieger today, it'd be a tough call between this one and the tradition black dial, but leaning toward this one. I really like it a lot.

Edit...nope, it'd definitely be the Ikarus (after seeing more photos online).
    Last edited by gnuyork; Sep 28, 2015 at 03:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    If I were to buy a flieger today, it'd be a tough call between this one and the tradition black dial, but leaning toward this one. I really like it a lot.

Edit...nope, it'd definitely be the Ikarus (after seeing more photos online).

I tend to be slightly contrarian, in that I like designs the pay tribute to traditions without blindly copying them. Stowa does a great classic flieger, as they should, but I like this slight variation of lowering the contrast between hands and dial and adding a bit of sparkle to the dial with metal flake coating. It doesn't call attention to itself, but stands out from the crowd.