Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field testing a field watch - how often do you use your watches as they were intended

Field testing a field watch - how often do you use your watches as they were intended

In about 12 hours I'm starting a 30 mile walk for a cancer charity. What watch does one wear for such an occasion? A field watch of course! Probably my favourite style of watch and one that I rarely use in the way it was designed.
    The particular watch I'll have on will be my CWC G10, my most worn watch (I wear it to bed every night) but one that doesn't see the light of day that often.

So, how often do you get your desk divers wet? Or go flying with your fliegers?

2. Likes JAGtime, OhDark30, Smeagal, scottjc liked this post
    When answering the question, "How often do you use your watches as they are intended?" I can say every time I wear them. I've got to check the time at least once a day don't I... What other use does a watch have...?
    Chris:

I think you've answered the question "FOR what they're intended", not "AS what they're intended

5. Likes bu11itt liked this post
    I've been swimming in my PO but that's about it. I do intend to start back up with scuba diving, not sure I would wear the PO for that. I think they have dive computers for the calculations now. My PO does more than desk dive though. I wear for most everything except mountain biking, and that includes my new sport I have recently taken up - rowing.

Did a bit of snorkeling off the coast of Cyprus with my SMP, but that's the nearest it's gotten to doing what it was designed for. It has also plummeted to earth at around 120mph from 15,000ft on a sky dive.
    Have used my Aerospace to time laps (both onboard and from trackside) at Castle Combe, Silverstone, Oulton Park, Donington Park, & Snetterton. + it goes on holidays with me, so second time zone comes in handy. Have used the alarm a few times, but it's a bit feeble.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

8. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    One of the basic principles of law is the difference between motive and intent. We intend to use a watch for diving because we bought a diver. But our motive is more likely to be that people we meet believe that we spend our weekends jetting down to El Caribe to count rare fish along some reef.

I have been swimming with my Ebel diver, and I have no worries doing so with my diver watches. But strapping on a SCUBA tank? Not happening.

I use my chronographs to time things, and I use all my watches to tell time. And I use them to appreciate an archaic concept and craft, however modernistically executed. But at least one real motive is that people think I'm hipper and cooler (and richer, it must be admitted) than I really am. In that sense, I use them all for what they were designed to do.

Rick "intentions are rarely enough executed" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Blog Entries
    Most of my watches seem to have been designed to look nice on the wrist and tell time while carrying out day-to-day activities. So I'm using them for their intended purpose every day! Although I hope the dress-watch police don't arrest me for wearing vintage gold watches with cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I am not the best-dressed boho on the block.

Good luck on the benefit walk, Olly!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Most of my watches seem to have been designed to look nice on the wrist and tell time while carrying out day-to-day activities. So I'm using them for their intended purpose every day! Although I hope the dress-watch police don't arrest me for wearing vintage gold watches with cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I am not the best-dressed boho on the block.

Thanks Robert, I'm up (5:30 start) and the G10 is on my wrist ready to go.

10 of 30 miles done. Toilet stop at a very helpful farm. G10 holding up as well as you'd expect a British military watch to

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post

They might get you for wearing cargo shorts at your age, though.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking