Likes Likes:  4

Thread: BERLIN watch?

BERLIN watch?

so...I've got a Nomos Glashütte (by way of Moscow and San Francisco), just picked up a Junghans Max Bill in Weimar, and even a "fantasy" Zenith Laco WW II Aviator.

I will be in Berlin realSoonNow, ready to shop.

The question is: what would you nominate as the prototypical BERLIN watch? And where would you suggest shopping for it?

Vielen Dank!
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

I can't answer the question, but suspect the prototypical brand might be the usual suspects plus Junghans.

I've long been interested in Rainer Brand's watches, so might take the opportunity to see them in the flesh. According to the Rainer Brand website, they have a retail outlet in Berlin -

Oliver Hofmann, Kurfürstendamm 197

www.schmuckraeume-berlin.de

3. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    You can always check out Kaventsmann. He is based in Berlin and makes some incredibly interesting watches. I don't think I could pull off anything that he makes, but they would be fun to see in person. He uses some interesting materials.

5. Likes Nokie liked this post
    On second thoughts - Nomos.

I've just read that Nomos is Germany's market leader in watches between €1,000 and €4,000. I didn't know they were so ubiquitous. And Nomos watches are designed in Berlin. Go to Wempe and buy a Nomos in that price range - job done.

The Nomos with the most city credentials, as the name suggests, is the Metro.

Name:  nomos-metro-b1563.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  28.5 KB

7. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    On second thoughts - Nomos.

I've just read that Nomos is Germany's market leader in watches between €1,000 and €4,000. I didn't know they were so ubiquitous. And Nomos watches are designed in Berlin. Go to Wempe and buy a Nomos in that price range - job done.
    Is that figure for all watches within that price bracket or for German watches in that price bracket? Either way, it's a number that is well deserved.

Nomos is an excellent brand and has a great reputation. It is one of the few brands that is almost universally respected.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Is that figure for all watches within that price bracket or for German watches in that price bracket? Either way, it's a number that is well deserved.

I'm not 100% sure. I'm quoting more or less verbatim from Europa Star, and it seemed to be suggesting all watches within that price bracket. Pretty good going, if that's the case.

10. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Nomos is on the list - I have an Orion (relabeled as a private LE for the Bank of Moscow), and would love to have a Weltzeit. But...my budget says I need to find something vintage...at a good discount. The problem with that is that I only see the Club offered like that, and the Club doesn't do it for me. Metro would be nice, but without the Gangreserve, bitte.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.