Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rado Golden Gate?

Quote Originally Posted by sladew View Post
    Turns out, I'm being courted, so I did manage to get a look at the movement. From what I can find out there it does seem to look like an AS 1859.

Has anybody seen this particular set of logos on this movement before (particularly the circled anchor on the rotor)?

Can anybody who has an 1859 comment on the engraving and whether it looks right?

Attachment 117733

Thanks,
    Slade.
    I concur with Tim. The markings are all correct and consistent with the late Rado AS movements, with the exception of the AS 1876.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Turns out, I'm being courted, so I did manage to get a look at the movement. From what I can find out there it does seem to look like an AS 1859.

Has anybody seen this particular set of logos on this movement before (particularly the circled anchor on the rotor)?

Can anybody who has an 1859 comment on the engraving and whether it looks right?

Attachment 117733

Thanks,
    Slade.
    best to show the hair spring side pic, on a auto as thats will show markings near it or partly under it like in tims pic

looks a kosher movement to me though

but you got to be careful seen lots of diff movements in them ..

look at big ben the seller he's does back shots and shows both 17 and 25 jewelled not the best of seller think bought some old seikos of him they was ok for price at the time but yes very mixed results on what brand you buy .. rado hmmm maybe not the seller for me on them but

mine was all kosher but as it came from a tat lot buy it was untouched in a draw for ages soo was all gen but over polished though at some point
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Ahhh that explains the lack of entry in Ranfft. I must admit that threw me. Was the 1859 a Schild movement solely for Rado?
    I remember we had this discussion at EoT but I can't remember the details, whether Rado re-stamped the AS 185x movement or it was exclusive to them. Brad ( @watch carefully ) may be able to help. They most certainly re stamped ETA movements with their own cal numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    I remember we had this discussion at EoT but I can't remember the details, whether Rado re-stamped the AS 185x movement or it was exclusive to them. Brad ( @watch carefully ) may be able to help. They most certainly re stamped ETA movements with their own cal numbers.

Hi Guys,
    I'm not sure what we knew versus what we surmised. I believe that Rado bought AS 190Xs and modified them, calling them 1858/1859, around 1968-9. We've seen them in a number of top models like the 11821 Chronometer. I'll see if any info on this is in my notes...
    Mike Keller may have some input on this also.

5. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watch carefully View Post

Hi Guys,
    I'm not sure what we knew versus what we surmised. I believe that Rado bought AS 190Xs and modified them, calling them 1858/1859, around 1968-9. We've seen them in a number of top models like the 11821 Chronometer. I'll see if any info on this is in my notes...
    Mike Keller may have some input on this also.
    Thanks Brad, I thought you'd have a handle on it. I think it was your thread and we were centred on the AS chronometer movements when we had the discussion.

Edit: You're probably spot on Brad. Here's the Ranfft page for the base movement, AS1902 & I'd say the day/date 1859 will correspond to the 21,600 A/h AS1906.
    Last edited by Tim.; Jul 24, 2022 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks for all the info about the Golden Gate.

Tim, I spent a bit of time going over all the Ranft pages for the AS 190x automatic movements, comparing each hole, jewel, screw, wheel and bridge and I agree that it is the AS 1906.

I have another question for anybody with a Golden Gate or an AS 1906 movement.

Is the date and day complication quick set or do you set it by advancing the time past midnight?

If it's the old-skool advance past midnight to adjust the day/date then how do you independently set the day from the date?

Slade.

8. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Woops! Never mind, I figured it out. It's like another form of hell over and above my Vostok Amfibias

So you have to wind on through a full 24 hours multiple times through the week days to find the correct day. Once you've done that then you can do the standard (old-skool), semi-quickset dance of advancing past midnight and then back before 9pm and back past midnight. The date advances but the day keeps stepping back one and then forward one, so the day remains set in place.

Sheesh, this will be one for my automatic winder

10. Likes Tim., Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Woops! Never mind, I figured it out. It's like another form of hell over and above my Vostok Amfibias

So you have to wind on through a full 24 hours multiple times through the week days to find the correct day. Once you've done that then you can do the standard (old-skool), semi-quickset dance of advancing past midnight and then back before 9pm and back past midnight. The date advances but the day keeps stepping back one and then forward one, so the day remains set in place.

Yep, unfortunately, that's how it's done for all of the Rado AS movements, with the exception of the 1876, which has a push button date. But @sladew , if you have a few of them you can, of course, just wear them on a date that's soon after where they last stopped.
    Last edited by Tim.; Jul 27, 2022 at 07:21 AM.

But @sladew , if you have a few of them you can, of course, just wear them on a date that's soon after where they last stopped.
    Tim I love it!

When I used that excuse as a reason to buy more vintage watches, my darling promptly did her full "long suffering wife" routine... so maybe not one Rado for each day of the month then...

Yes. I have many of the AS movement Rados and they can be a bit of a pain to set.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.