Likes Likes:  8

Thread: '60-'70s Case back variations?

Question '60-'70s Case back variations?

Hi,

I've been browsing various shopping and info sites and I've seen some interesting "variation" in case back decoration (or lack of it) primarily from the '70s Rados. I thought I'd try to survey what is out there.

Apologies in advances if this has already been discussed previously, but I wonder if I could get some advice or info from the more informed among us (i.e. most everybody but me )

I am hoping that I can get some information about these various case backs that I am seeing:
    • What ones represent legit variants and what times do the variations seem to occur?
    • What variations represent damage or over-heavily-polished case backs?
    • What ones to steer clear of (possible indicators of fakes or frankens)?
    • What case backs represent different "families" of Rado models?
    • When or why did the various case backs change?

There are various different types or categories that I observe from '60-'70s vintage Rado watches:

1. Deeply incised or deep relief two seahorse case backs:

There is a central incised circle generally with a cross-hatched or patterned background. Outside the circle there is a minimal flat rim. This pattern is similar to the three seahorse model, but has two seahorses facing each other, rather than three arranged in a radiating pattern. There is very little flat rim surrounding the central circle and all engraving are instead placed on the outer sloped case back. There are general four equidistant notches cut into the case back to allow removal. This pattern seems to date to the late 60's into the early 70's.

The incised central circle generally usually takes the form:

TOP: the brand "RADO" (in spaced capitals)
    CENTRAL: Two seahorses facing each other.
    BOTTOM: the words "Water . Sealed" (wrapped around the bottom in cursive script).

Example:

Name:  Rado caseback 2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  77.2 KB

2. Deeply incised or deep relief, three seahorse, case backs:

There is a central incised circle generally with a cross-hatched background. Outside the circle there is a flat rim that generally has a model number at top and a case number at bottom though these are usually heavily polished or 'polished out'. There are general four equidistant notches cut into the case back to allow removal. The three seahorse case backs seem to date from the early to late '70s

The incised central circle generally usually takes the form:

TOP: the brand "RADO" (in spaced capitals)
    CENTRAL: A tri-form, radiating, inverted 'Y' pattern of three seahorses with three 5-pointed stars equally spaced between the seahorses. The seahorses curved tails form a loose triskelion at the center of the case back.
    BOTTOM: the words "Water . Sealed" (wrapped around the bottom in cursive script).

Example:
    Name:  Rado caseback 1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  67.5 KB

3. Gold medallion case backs:
    Gold coloured central 'medallion' usually with three radiating seahorses and three stars, as above.

It seems to me that mostly these are examples of an incised case back with a (aged and discoloured) plastic protective film still applied.

I have seen examples where the yellow is obviously plastic (because it has been partly removed. I have also seen examples where it really does look like a gold colored metal.

Example:

Name:  Rado caseback 3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  Rado caseback 3b.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  25.8 KB

4. Shallow relief case backs:

There are various types of case backs that seem to "lightly engraved" as opposed to being in original created in relief. My observation is that these don't seem to be highly or overly polished case backs, but rather do seem to be a form of engraving. This is particularly obvious when there is still visible model or other text engraving apparent too. They sometimes seem to have the words "Stainless Steel" above the central circle image.

Examples:

Name:  Rado caseback 4.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  Rado caseback 4a.jpg
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  Rado caseback 4b.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  34.2 KB

5. Various Plain case backs:

There are also a lot of "plain" case backs, without or without model and case number engraving.

Examples:

Name:  Rado caseback 5.jpg
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  Rado caseback 5a.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  62.8 KB

I'd appreciate it if anybody can confirm even rough dates ranges or timelines for the various case back types:

• late '60s - early '70s - Deep incised case back in a larger cross-hatched circle with two seahorses facing each other. Text of "RADO" above and "Water.Sealed" below.
    • '70s - Deep incised case back in a smaller cross-hatched circle with three radiating seahorses with three 5-pointed stars. Text of "RADO" above and "Water.Sealed" below.
    • '80s onwards - Lots of plain and plain rectangular case backs with four screws in the corners and incised text corresponding to the move to more rectangular quartz and quartz ceramic models of the '80s-'90s.
    • 2000s - revival of classic/original models has seen a return to the three seahorse incised case back.

Wherever possible I try to match a visible model number with the watch case and dial. I also steer away from plain case backs or the shallow relief / engraved case backs.

What do you personally steer clear of? What is not a problem to you? Finally, what to make of the outliers and the just plain weird? Are the clear indications, that something may be "wrong" with the watch? What do you look for, or avoid relating to case backs?

Any information, observations, photos, or thoughts, gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Slade.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sladew; Aug 12, 2022 at 02:01 AM.

2. Likes Chris Victoria liked this post

Exclamation Other variants?

Hi,

Here are a set of more interesting/rarer variants compared to the preceding types.

• Three seahorses with horizontal lines background:

Name:  Rado caseback 6a.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  56.5 KB

• A lightly engraved anchor motif on a Simplon:

Name:  Rado caseback 6b.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  52.0 KB

• A deeply incised three seahorse, 3 star pattern in an all gold coloured case back for a Golden Horse (at least the model name kinda makes sense):

Name:  Rado caseback 6c.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  110.3 KB

• A very clear example of the lightly inscribed three seahorse, 3 star pattern surmounted by "Stainless Steel":

Name:  Rado caseback 4d.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  104.7 KB

• A lightly inscribed three seahorse pattern with three stars that for some strange reason just makes me think "laser etching or laser engraving"...

Name:  Rado caseback 6d.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  84.3 KB

I'll add more, and stranger variants as I stumble across them...

Slade.
    Last edited by sladew; Aug 12, 2022 at 03:34 AM.

4. Likes Chris Victoria liked this post
    For a starter, the case backs you call 'plain' generally have the golden medallions missing.
    We have tried many times over the years to locate a source of these medallions, to no avail, even considering getting them manufactured specially for the forum.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

6. Likes sladew liked this post
    I did wonder if the plain circles were symptomatic of missing medallions...

I'm sure I have see the odd gold medallion of my journeys. I think the second photo in the "Gold Medallion" series seems to show one.

Any idea why they come off? Are they just press fit on?

Were they specific to particular models or times?

They were just glued in place and easily came off once the glue failed over time.
    They were almost exclusively featured on Far East models such as Balboas, don't think I've ever seen one on a Diastar.
    Come to think of it, though, my Hardtrons both have medallions, so that last statement may be incorrect.

9. Likes sladew liked this post
    Compare and contrast, Diastar chronometer casebacks.

11. Likes sladew liked this post
    The first case back you showed dtes from 1957 through to maybe as late as the mid 60s, though they were being phased out before that.

The watch I am wearing today is the second edition of the Jetliner and dates from 1964.

P4120166 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The shallow big anchor casebacks are generally for the Far East market. The infinitely inferior Manhattan Mk 1.5 has that style of caseback and was exclusively for the Far East market.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Aug 12, 2022 at 10:12 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

13. Likes sladew liked this post
    A nice example of the named model era caseback from my old pink Diastar Magic.

Name:  P1030025.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  71.7 KB

15. Likes sladew, Chris Victoria liked this post
    A caseback that is unique to this model. It dates from 1962 and 1000 of them were made.

Name:  P1012477_zpsfhyncvew (1).jpg
Views: 115
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  P1012479_zpsutsggdja.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  73.5 KB