Earlier this year, Omega introduced to us to a number of their latest creations, some of which really impressed us and other watch enthusiasts alike. The Speedmaster range saw a multitude of new additions, along with some tasteful updates that were applied to the PloProf lineup. Nevertheless, the one that seemed to stick with me the most was the Globemaster. After having a few months to reflect on what I knew of the watch, I was given the opportunity to test out the watch myself, which got me rightfully excited. Now, without further delay, letís take a closer look at the all new Omega Globemaster; a watch that challenges many concepts of traditional horology, while still paying tribute to the brandís storied past.

When first seeing a Globemaster, itís easy to spot its connection to the Constellation family, in that its design features carefully cherry-picked details from various Constellation references. Firstly, youíve got the iconic, ’60s style ďPie-PanĒ dial, which has a distinct depth and range of appearances to it, depending on the lighting conditions. This greatly intrigued me, as it cannot normally be said of a silver dial that doesnít have a sunburst finish. Next, Omega added in a dash of ’70s styling, with the use of a densely fluted, tungsten carbide bezel. Again, the finishing on this component was done wonderfully, as indicated by how the contrasting brushed and polished points of the bezel have a subtle shimmering effect.

Coming in perfectly at a conservative 39mm wide, and just 12.5mm thick, the Globemaster wears quite nicely on the wrist. I personally feel that 39mm is where more modern watches need to be, though that could be a result of my affinity for vintage pieces. Furthermore, the structured nature of the strapís end helps the watch’s ability to hug the wrist. The one question that Iíve constantly come back to when glancing down at the Globemaster is: what exactly is it? Its design isnít ornate or sleek enough to be considered a dress watch, though at the same time, itís clearly not a sports piece. I think the best way to sum it up, is that itís a highly versatile, everyday type of piece, which leads me to believe that it could make up a terrific one-watch collection for an individual.

Although the aesthetics of this piece are nothing short of beautiful, the main event here is whatís inside: Omegaís Caliber 8900. Due to Omegaís newly created ďMETASĒ certification (which will also allow other brands to attempt certification), this Master Chronometer movement packs a serious punch when it comes to accuracy. Essentially, Omega has subjected their watches (not just the movements) to a number of extra testing procedures to ensure accuracy, including a six position test at multiple temperatures, anti-magnetic testing, and among others. Theyíve also manufactured the movement using an anti-magnetic silicon hairspring, along with a host of other anti-magnetic parts to guarantee its timekeeping abilities up to 15,000 Gauss. Knowing that all of these variables and unforgiving technical details were taken into account during this movementís development really elevates the on-the-wrist experience of owning the Globemaster. Additionally, the movement is executed as tremendously as the brandís other offerings, making use of the same bold red text and curved Geneva stripes which we see on the Calibers 9300 and 8500.

All in all, my experience with wearing the Globemaster for the past few weeks has truly been enjoyable. Its horological sophistication is clearly matched by equally impactful visuals, which leads me to believe the piece is justifiably priced at $7,700 in stainless steel. Moreover, I like to think the Globemaster will make a highly competitive alternative to many watches in its price range once it hits the market, largely due to its arguably best-in-class testing standards. And while we love some of the new Speedmasters and Seamasters, the Globmaster was a much bolder release by Omega, and they hit it out of the park.

A big “thanks” goes out to @pbandwatches for providing the photography.
by The post In the Flesh: Omega Globemaster appeared first on Wound For Life.

More...