Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wempe's own watches

Wempe's own watches

I know there's at least four Wempe watches appearing on IWL....

Yesterday I was admiring this one. 40mm, 10atm, 2892 and about 2000 euros iirc

Photos stolen from here: http://www.watch-insider.com/news/un...ports-watches/
    Last edited by Der Amf; Sep 23, 2015 at 03:57 PM.

2. Likes Steppy, FuzzyB, JAGtime liked this post

Wempe's own watches

You don't see them often, but the quality is high and they represent a much better value than some of the big names.

I have a flieger. It's big and has a quirk or two, but overall it is a well built watch. I also like the fact that Wempe was one of the original suppliers of fliegers, so they have as legitimate a right to produce them as any other company.

Another thing I like about the Wempe watches is that many of their higher end watches used movements manufactured by Nomos. I found it interesting that Nomos made movements that were more complicated than anything they used in their own offerings.

Here is a web photo of a Wempe tourbillon made by Nomos. (Note the resemblance to Nomos' new Lux model.)

Last edited by FuzzyB; Sep 23, 2015 at 05:22 PM.

4. Likes OhDark30, Der Amf, Chicolabronse liked this post
    ^^^^did they have to modify the movement to get the date wheel so nicely over to the side?

Here's their 35mm Sport model

6. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    ^^^^did they have to modify the movement to get the date wheel so nicely over to the side?
    That nice touch comes courtesy of the new ETA Valgranges movement (one with an impossible for me to remember numeric string) that they use in that model. It is actually a 44mm watch, but looks quite reasonably sized in pictures due to the nicely balanced date window.

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    That nice touch comes courtesy of the new ETA Valgranges movement (one with an impossible for me to remember numeric string) that they use in that model. It is actually a 44mm watch, but looks quite reasonably sized in pictures due to the nicely balanced date window.
    I'm sure that movement would be more popular if it wasn't called the 164.485.385.073.725A

10. Likes FuzzyB, popoki nui, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    You don't see them often, but the quality is high and they represent a much better value than some of the big names.

I have a flieger. It's big and has a quirk or two, but overall it is a well built watch. I also like the fact that Wempe was one of the original suppliers of fliegers, so they have as legitimate a right to produce them as any other company.

That's a great looking Flieger.
    Kody

12. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    (Is there anything other walk of life in which having had a commercial relationship with the Third Reich is positive advantage?)

( *sends enquiring email to Hugo Boss* )
    Last edited by Der Amf; Sep 23, 2015 at 06:14 PM.

14. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    Name:  IMAG1825.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  60.4 KBName:  IMAG1826.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  50.8 KBName:  IMAG1828.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  55.8 KB

Wempe Modified Selitta Sw-300 Movement (Chronometer), 42mm, Domed Sapphire, AR both sides. It addresses a few of the issues that people have with the Rolex Sub.

(but cannot touch the Rolex Bracelet/clasp quality) Nor should it at less than half the price

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    (Is there anything other walk of life in which having had a commercial relationship with the Third Reich is positive advantage?) ( *sends enquiring email to Hugo Boss* )
    Volkswagen?

17. Likes Der Amf, theague, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Name:  IMAG1825.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  60.4 KBName:  IMAG1826.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  50.8 KBName:  IMAG1828.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  55.8 KB

Wempe Modified Selitta Sw-300 Movement (Chronometer), 42mm, Domed Sapphire, AR both sides. It addresses a few of the issues that people have with the Rolex Sub.

(but cannot touch the Rolex Bracelet/clasp quality) Nor should it at less than half the price

I like that ALOT..Never seen this 1
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

19. Likes geoffbot liked this post