Likes Likes:  52
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wempe's own watches

Wempe's own watches

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I should have shot them side by side. The RGM's rotor is sized to the main plate. Even though there is little mechanically going on in the outer area, it is still nicer to see the larger rotor under the window without staring at a large movement ring. The rotor on the 775x looks minuscule in comparison.

Edit: Here is a quick comparison shot. The window on the Tissot is smaller than the rotor, but it is still a good bit smaller than the RGM rotor.

Yes, I said that it had a larger rotor. It's a matter of preference, I guess. A big rotor is just a big rotor--you could install that on a standard 7750 mounted in a decorative movement mounting ring and it would have a similar look to the A07. That's what I visualize in the photo above. A larger movement really should have a larger balance and a larger mainspring--that's what makes larger movements look more appropriate for a big case, and it's also what makes them inherently more accurate.

The sloped sides of the Tissot case back actually looks rather nice to me. Domed backs let the watch settle deeper onto the wrist.

Rick "micro-rotors--even more minuscule--are prized" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Sep 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    If you are referring to the RGM, I'd much rather have that angled inner portion of the chapter ring cut off than have the date floating in the middle of the dial.
    Sure.
    I'm just saying, from a designer's point of view, removing a portion of a dial element that serves a purpose isn't good design.
    One may think it looks better but you are essentially removing/reducing functionality.

The simple test is this:
    If i asked you how to read the elapsed time when the hand is stopped in that region, what would your answer be?

You may note that I highlighted the point of the watch being a chronograph. On any other watch, it would not matter but in a device that is to time events and illustrate the period accurate to 0.25(or is it 0.2?) of a second, a missing portion on the scale is not simply good design.

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    Sure.
    I'm just saying, from a designer's point of view, removing a portion of a dial element that serves a purpose isn't good design.
    One may think it looks better but you are essentially removing/reducing functionality.

The simple test is this:
    If i asked you how to read the elapsed time when the hand is stopped in that region, what would your answer be?

You may note that I highlighted the point of the watch being a chronograph. On any other watch, it would not matter but in a device that is to time events and illustrate the period accurate to 0.25(or is it 0.2?) of a second, a missing portion on the scale is not simply good design.
    Doesn't that just mean you think the chapter ring is not in the right place rather than the date? . It is a shame that some markings had to be sacrificed, but I think they made the right decision to use the larger movement to place the date opening correctly rather than have it well inside the chapter ring.

To bring it back on topic, one of the strengths of Wempe's watches is their use of different movements within the same line to preserve the design regardless of the size. So often, when a manufacturer makes different sizes of the same design, they use the same movement, which requires slight variations in the design. For such a small brand like Wempe, such attention to detail is commendable.

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post