Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Love for the original Captain Cooks?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    According to Ranfft it should be the AS 1903 for the Mk IIs. These are the automatic versions with the slow change, slow set day mechanisms. According to Ranfft.

The 11868 is day/date version so it should have the AS 1906 in it.

Love the markers on this. They seem to be "floating" markers attached to the crystal.

Regarding ref numbers with a /2 after. They wouldn't be bracelet configurations. They are generally something fairly major, like changing the type of movement in them. It's possible that the the 11733/2 has an early , for Rado, ETA movement in it, though I have no information on that.

That's very cool. I didn't know the was a day, date version of the CC MK2!

I've seen references to the CC MK2 with an Schild 1858 / AS 1902/03. I cannot find an 1858 ref in the ranfft database, but I can find refs for both the AS 1902 and AS 1903 that seem to match.

Is this another case of a Rado caliber (1858) that is a modified Schild movement (AS 1902/AS 1903)?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Yes mine has the 7 row NSA with straight ends. My Mk II is actually a pile of junk, like many are, but I got it for around $250 when versions that were only somewhat better were going for a grand. And, I kind of like it junky. I've passed on several reasonably priced examples in better shape since.

More interesting for me is the bracelet on my MkI reissue. It is an original bracelet for the original MkI. I found a NOS example years ago and was waiting for the right Mk I, but then the reissue came along and it cost less than the original. I took the fairly crappy starp off and traded it for a proper beads of rice, with a slide lock scuba clasp.
    I've heard about those clasps is it a slide extension, on top of the standard 'doubling over' clasp?

Quote Originally Posted by sladew View Post
    I've heard about those clasps is it a slide extension, on top of the standard 'doubling over' clasp?
    Yes, that's basically it, exactly the same bracelet on my Mk1 LE.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottjc; Sep 1, 2022 at 06:21 AM.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

My two for comparison. The Mk II is the 11773/2 reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi JP, do you know what movement is in the The Mk II (11773/2 reference)?

I found a list from the Horimachi Watch Club that extends some of the info for the original Captain Cooks reference numbers to at least some of the later movements:

<Captain Cook Ref.number>
    770 Captain Cook
    727 Captain Cook Ladies
    11683 Old Captain Cook (AKA Mk I)
    11773 Captain Cook ((AS1789 ( 1700/01 ))
    11773/1 Captain Cook (AS1700 series 30 jewels?)
    11773/2 Captain Cook (AS1902 25 jewels)
    11868 Captain Cook Day Date
    Last edited by sladew; Oct 23, 2022 at 11:50 PM.