Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandfather's watch

Grandfather's watch

My uncle passed away last year and included in the things my cousin, Tom, got from his dad was a watch that was owned by our grandfather. Tom used to play with it when he was a kid, so my grandfather had Tom's name engraved on the back with the idea that he'd own it some day. The watch was pretty beat up when he got it recently and it did not run.

He mentioned to me just a few weeks ago that he wanted to wear it for his wedding, which is tomorrow.

I got the watch and texted my local watchmaker. Told him I needed less than 2 week turnaround on a vintage watch that did not run. No problem. After I dropped it off with him and he was able to take a look, he let me know the poor condition of the movement. He called his dad, who does the actual service on the watches, and he confirmed he actually had the parts to replace in the movement. Score.

I got a call yesterday that the watch had been running for 2 days, keeping great time, and I could come pick it up.

I had him do a light polish on the crystal, but otherwise leave the watch as is. I called my cousin's fiance and got the color of his shoes/belt and picked up a vintage-y strap that matches what he's wearing.

I'm not usually in to the sentimental side of watches, but I'm very excited to bring him the watch this afternoon and see him wearing it tomorrow.

nice elgin you got their gold case ? 25 jewelled ?

poss cal 997 ?
    Last edited by is that my watch; Sep 23, 2022 at 04:41 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Nice story, and nice watch. One of the good things about many of the older American watches is that the movements are relatively easy to service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Good story, and a very attractive watch.

7. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Elgin made good watches. That's a lovely thing, and a generous wedding memento.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

9. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Elgin made good watches. That's a lovely thing, and a generous wedding memento.
    they did hard to get in the uk a bit in v good con as wanted to have a hands on feel to some so I check the bay from time to time
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

What a nice thing to do for your ciousin.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

12. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Brilliant story, made me happy.

Sent from Maxwell Smart’s shoe.

14. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Thanks, all. He was blown away when he saw it. I'll try to get a wrist shot at the wedding today.

16. Likes Fantasio, Strela167, mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Thanks, all. He was blown away when he saw it. I'll try to get a wrist shot at the wedding today.
    Brill. Thanks for posting, nice to hear.

18. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post