Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Info request Rado purple gazelle

Smile Info request Rado purple gazelle

Greetings, this is my first post. I've been collecting a few rados just this year, mainly vintage. I have been trying to date my watches surfing the web but haven't had any luck, since Rado doesn't have watch serial decode like omega and other brands do as of what I know up to now . I was routed to this forum and was told there is a lot of Rado collectors that might help me here. I will keep posting my collection through this thread. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hi,

Welcome aboard!

There are a bunch of really knowledgeable people here who should be able to help you...

First up, in addition to any movement reference number, there should also be a 3 digit date code on the movement, if you're lucky.

The first number should be the last number of the associated year and the next two digits the month code.

If it's the original movement, then that should at least provide a lower production date of the movement.

Slade.
    Last edited by sladew; Sep 25, 2022 at 06:49 AM.

Given that very interesting case design, I'd also take a look at the advertising in the reference thread to see if you can spot that particular Purple Gazelle there.

(Sorry, but I couldn't spot anything in my own advertising pics stash...)

Slade.
    Last edited by sladew; Sep 25, 2022 at 06:47 AM.

Hello and welcome, this is a very interesting version of the Purple Gazelle tbh, I can't find another like it. Can you have a good look at the case back with a magnifying glass and post any numbers you can see there, they could be almost worn off so you'll have to get it in just the right light, also look under the balance on the movement for a cal number, I think it's an ETA movement so that should also be stamped on it. Look around on the bridges for any other numbers, we are looking in particular for a 3 digit number, for example, 409, which would make the date September '74.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Hello and welcome, this is a very interesting version of the Purple Gazelle tbh, I can't find another like it. Can you have a good look at the case back with a magnifying glass and post any numbers you can see there, they could be almost worn off so you'll have to get it in just the right light, also look under the balance on the movement for a cal number, I think it's an ETA movement so that should also be stamped on it. Look around on the bridges for any other numbers, we are looking in particular for a 3 digit number, for example, 409, which would make the date September '74.
    Yes the case has a hint of Conway to it ? nicely done but either a bit rarer or a nicely done refurb maybe

but one am thinking of look's the same but the crowns at four not three
    Last edited by is that my watch; Sep 25, 2022 at 10:08 AM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Hello and welcome. Always great to meet more Rado fans. Please do share your collection and we will help in any way we can.
    As for your Purple Gazelle I do have some misgivings. I think you've got all authentic Rado parts but unfortunately, I suspect that the case and the dial come from separate watches. It was almost unheard of for Rado to put a dial with gold hands, markers and anchor in a steel case in the vintage era.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Hello and welcome. Always great to meet more Rado fans. Please do share your collection and we will help in any way we can.
    As for your Purple Gazelle I do have some misgivings. I think you've got all authentic Rado parts but unfortunately, I suspect that the case and the dial come from separate watches. It was almost unheard of for Rado to put a dial with gold hands, markers and anchor in a steel case in the vintage era.
    yes that was my take not as up on rados but that was my feeling too conway case gazelle insides ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Thanks, unfortunately there is no 3 digit code that I've seen. This are the only letters and numbers i could see. Eta, MB 2789-1Name:  IMG-20220925-WA0007.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  101.8 KB

Yes, out of all of my rados this one is my strangest one. I haven't seen a case like it anywhere and the chain aswell. Like others have suspected this may be an all original but Frankenstein Rado or hopefully may not.