Likes Likes:  45
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MMFF September 30th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    We have made that assumption based on a number of factors, not least of which is that automatics that we know for a fact are from the 1980s or newer do not have that number code. Your Diastar 62, for instance, is from the 1980s. I might even be able narrow it down a bit. Does the case have thw Rado wordmark engraced in the 9 o'clock side?
    No it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ELPIPIRIPAU View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Then your Diastar 62 is likely not newer than 1983, as that is when they started engraving the wordmark in the side of the TC case. If I recall correctly the 2836 was introduced in 1981, so your 62 is not older than that.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

3. Likes sladew liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Then your Diastar 62 is likely not newer than 1983, as that is when they started engraving the wordmark in the side of the TC case. If I recall correctly the 2836 was introduced in 1981, so your 62 is not older than that.
    Nice bracketing of the date range!

You can't get much better than that, unless you have an elusive catalogue or price-list that you're working from.
    Last edited by sladew; Oct 4, 2022 at 06:31 PM.

5. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by sladew View Post
    Nice bracketing of the date range!

You can't get much better than that, unless you have an elusive catalogue or price-list that you're working from.
    Cheers! The tidbit about the 2836s came about from attempting to date various Louis Rossel designs and the case engraving came about specifically because of Diastar 62s. When I got mine I quickly realized there were versions with and without case engraving so, of course, I had to look into that.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

7. Likes sladew liked this post
    Just on the off chance, do you know a prod date range for the Octopus dial Accustars (597.0435.3)?

I read on Brad's site they were introduced 2002 but I wondered when they ceased production/sale?

Just on the off chance, do you know a prod date range for the Octopus dial Accustars (597.0435.3)?

I read on Brad's site they were introduced 2002 but I wondered when they ceased production/sale?
    Hi Slade, not sure exactly when they ceased production but it's possible with a relatively modern piece such as the Accustar that Rado customer service may have an answer to that question or at least, if you quote the serial number they might be able to tell you when yours was produced.

10. Likes sladew liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Hi Slade, not sure exactly when they ceased production but it's possible with a relatively modern piece such as the Accustar that Rado customer service may have an answer to that question or at least, if you quote the serial number they might be able to tell you when yours was produced.
    Hi Tim,

I think this is one of my most modern Rados

Whereabouts is any serial number likely to be, inside on the movement?

This Accustar has an exhibition caseback with the cool masked striped rotor markings and the only number I can see on the metal 'locking ring' is the mostly polished out reference number 597.0435.3.

I have had the caseback off once to confirm the movement number, but that movement is mostly hidden under the AutoQuartz rotor. I don't remember seeing any other numbers...

Hi Tim,

I think this is one of my most modern Rados

Whereabouts is any serial number likely to be, inside on the movement?

This Accustar has an exhibition caseback with the cool masked striped rotor markings and the only number I can see on the metal 'locking ring' is the mostly polished out reference number 597.0435.3.

I have had the caseback off once to confirm the movement number, but that movement is mostly hidden under the AutoQuartz rotor. I don't remember seeing any other numbers...
    It's well hidden in plain sight. Get your magnifying glass out and you'll be able to see it etched into the 6 end of the TC shield.

13. Likes sladew liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    It's well hidden in plain sight. Get your magnifying glass out and you'll be able to see it etched into the 6 end of the TC shield.
    Woah - the cunning... now I see it!

Now to work up the enthusiasm/courage to contact Rado Customer Service...

I already contacted a Rado Authorized Service Centre about an "Accumulator replacement".
    No dice there. "No longer supported," was the official response.

Luckily, I can source my own Panasonic MT920 from the other side of the world at exorbitant cost.

It's very disappointing that these cute little AutoQuartz seemed to have been abandoned by most everybody - they're such a smart system.
    My respect has grown for them in leaps and bounds since I've owned this one.
    Last edited by sladew; Oct 4, 2022 at 10:51 PM.

Woah - the cunning... now I see it!

Now to work up the enthusiasm/courage to contact Rado Customer Service...

I already contacted a Rado Authorized Service Centre about an "Accumulator replacement".
    No dice there. "No longer supported," was the official response.

Luckily, I can source my own Panasonic MT920 from the other side of the world at exorbitant cost.

It's very disappointing that these cute little AutoQuartz seemed to have been abandoned by most everybody - they're such a smart system.
    My respect has grown for them in leaps and bounds since I've owned this one.
    Yeah, it's a cool idea, I also own two Seikos that use the same system, in fact, it was Seiko who originally developed it, unavailing it at Baselworld in '86.
    Last edited by Tim.; Oct 5, 2022 at 02:28 AM.