Likes Likes:  45
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MMFF September 30th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Yeah, it's a cool idea, I own also two Seikos that use the same system, in fact, it was Seiko who originally developed it, unavailing it at Baselworld in '86.
    I've got a pre-2000s Seiko Kinetic myself.

I liked it enough to go out and get a new capacitor installed, but the original resin strap succumbed to resin-rot a few weeks later... gutted!

I had all sorts of PTSD flashbacks to when my OG G-Shock self-destructed the same way

Now I'm having trouble forgiving it.

One of my favourite Rado Accuquartz's was also possibly their last, and I may like it just for the sheer bloodymindedness of it.

It was an Integral. What was bloodyminded about it? Rado took a watch that was never, up to that point and for a decade after, anything but a quartz watch. They put a hybrid mechanical in it and put a display back on it and... it powered an LCD digital display. Both Frank and I were mildly obsessed with them and every time they got cheap on Ashford we'd be messagubg each other: "Did you grab one?" Neither of us ever did and I still regret it just a little bit.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

3. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    One of my favourite Rado Accuquartz's was also possibly their last, and I may like it just for the sheer bloodymindedness of it.

It was an Integral. What was bloodyminded about it? Rado took a watch that was never, up to that point and for a decade after, anything but a quartz watch. They put a hybrid mechanical in it and put a display back on it and... it powered an LCD digital display. Both Frank and I were mildly obsessed with them and every time they got cheap on Ashford we'd be messagubg each other: "Did you grab one?" Neither of us ever did and I still regret it just a little bit.
    Can't find any trace of them now, do you know the ref#?

Can't find any trace of them now, do you know the ref#?
    Sorry, just saw my mistake. It was a Ceramica.

I do not, I do know it was one of the XLs, so it would have been massive.My Ceramica. is only 27mmwide and it is big.

And now I know. Ref 290.0925.3 Ceramica. It was released in 2010. I believe it was something like 32 or 35mm wide.

Name:  i_2113_1_850.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  243.6 KB

Name:  i_2113_2_850.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  i_2113_4_850.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  253.1 KB
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Oct 5, 2022 at 10:50 PM.

7. Likes sladew liked this post
    35mm wide X 36 mm and 11mm thick and of course a 35mm wide bracelet.

And now I know. Ref 290.0925.3 Ceramica. It was released in 2010. I believe it was something like 32 or 35mm wide.

Name:  i_2113_1_850.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  243.6 KB

Name:  i_2113_2_850.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  i_2113_4_850.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  253.1 KB
    Pretty cool, very Vader.

Pretty cool, very Vader.
    I hated Ceramicas. They were my least favourite of the big three from that era: Sintra, Integral and Ceramica. They still might be my least favourite, but since being given one, I get them. I like it on the wrist quite a bit.

I may have to try mine on the right wrist tomorrow.

Then your Diastar 62 is likely not newer than 1983, as that is when they started engraving the wordmark in the side of the TC case. If I recall correctly the 2836 was introduced in 1981, so your 62 is not older than that.
    Thanks, so that being said the three digit code that starts with a four is irrelevant with the year 1984 due because there isn't a case engraving. Then it surely isn't 1974 because automatics we're not yet introduced.Unless the case is a replacement maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ELPIPIRIPAU View Post
    Thanks, so that being said the three digit code that starts with a four is irrelevant with the year 1984 due because there isn't a case engraving. Then it surely isn't 1974 because automatics we're not yet introduced.Unless the case is a replacement maybe?
    Automatics are much older than that. The very first Diastar from 1962 was an automatic. The date codes are generally believed to have been introduced in the late 60s when Rado switched from A Schild movements to ETAs and continued through to the late 70s. The case engraving and the date code are completely irrelevant of each other beyond the fact they should never both be on one watch.