Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just saved myself some money...

Just saved myself some money...

Had some spare time, wanted to take a nice drive on a beautiful day, so decided to go to my favorite local dealer, from whom I bought my Breguet and my AP. The head watch guy is super nice, and always has time to chat. Anyway, we were looking at some new pieces he'd gotten in and I commented that I'd really like to see the new Rolex OP with the purple dial (like OrangeSport's), but in the 39mm size and with those red dots. He went back to bring out a couple of Lange Ones he'd just gotten in, just to show me (not for me, but he loves to show that sort of stuff to me as he knows I'm a WIS). Lo and behold, he comes back with three of the Langes...and the exact Rolex we had been talking about. He didn't even know they'd gotten it in.

Anyway, I love the larger size, love the color of the dial, but wasn't sure about the red dot markers, and wanted to see it IRL. There it was--and, boy, those red markers pop. Not in a good way IMO. They draw your eye in a way that takes all of your attention away from the dial itself, which is a real shame. From some angles they're more subdued, but from most angles they're, well, really really red. What a shame. I can't imagine what they were thinking. If it weren't for those markers, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

So, I've saved a bunch of money. Here's a picture in case anyone doesn't recognize the model I'm talking about (not my picture):

Name:  rolex_op_red_grape_1.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  50.5 KB

2. Likes iyonk, scottjc, OrangeSport, Upstate liked this post
    I didn't actually tried that model (39mm) on, but I still handled the watch (time enough) last Thursday. Honestly, I would be surprised if you had a different reaction. And obviously, I subscribe your comments.
    Last edited by CFR; Sep 27, 2015 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I didn't actually tried that model (39mm) on, but I still handled the watch (time enough) last Thursday. Honestly, I would be surprised if you had a different reaction. And obviously, I subscribe your comments.
    It's such a pity. It would be excellent without those pips. We must not be the only ones--I've already seen them on the gray market for under $5k. I don't think they're flying off the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, what were they thinking? Very unRolex like.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    It's such a pity. It would be excellent without those pips. We must not be the only ones--I've already seen them on the gray market for under $5k. I don't think they're flying off the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I was after a less "sporty" Rolex - out of the Sub/SD/GMT group - I would probably choose the Datejust tribe125 recently got. Lovely, classy and clean look.

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...-Buys-Datejust
    Last edited by CFR; Sep 27, 2015 at 03:11 AM.

7. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Fully agree. I don't mind some of the new colours, but that is not one of them.
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    That could make it a good one to buy and put in the back of the safe for 20 years.
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    ...and put in the back of the safe for 20 years.
    ...or...forever.

11. Likes geoffbot, mlcor, Chase liked this post
    I do the same thing on almost all my purchases, have to see it in the flesh. That's 1 ROLEX that I couldn't pull off either. Looks girlish

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk
    Last edited by watchdaddy1; Sep 27, 2015 at 07:17 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

My guess was is something like:

As the range of dateless OP expanded upwards from female only sizes to unisex midsize, with this latest size they wanted to clearly proclaim it as a masculine watch, and so added some bold color clashes.

I was imagining that the range of dials wound expand anyway, once the correct initial impression had been made, but if it's not going down very well, that's even more reason to.

I've seen a lot more talk about the 36mm version since the release of the 39mm. Wonder if the tone of the 39mm opened people's eyes to the existence of the 36mm?