Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40th Anniversary Diastar

40th Anniversary Diastar

Hello everyone, new member here. I like that this is one of the only watch forums I've seen that has a separate Rado forum.

I saw this Diastar in NOS condition (wtach only) at a local shop for $550 US. After researching it, found it's ref. 636.0557.3. It's a limited-edition (600 total), 2002 Diastar 40th Anniversary chronometer. It has an ETA 2836-2, gold-plated with perlage and côtes de Genèvei, and Tungsten-Carbide case. I don't know how robust the bracelet would be, and if it would have solid end links.

Wondering what everyone thoughts would be on this particular model and if there are any red flags? Most of my watches are Seiko divers, so don't have much experience with Rado watches. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GreenSteel; Oct 6, 2022 at 12:52 PM.

2. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSteel View Post
    Hello everyone, new member here. I like that this is one of the only watch forums I've seen that have a separate Rado forum.

I saw this Diastar in NOS condition (wtach only) at a local shop for $550 US. After researching it, found it's ref. 636.0557.3. It's a limited-edition (600 total), 2002 Diastar 40th Anniversary chronometer. It has an ETA 2836-2, gold-plated with perlage and côtes de Genèvei, and Tungsten-Carbide case. I don't know how robust the bracelet would be, and if it would have solid end links.

Wondering what everyone thoughts would be on this particular model and if there are any red flags? Most of my watches are Seiko divers, so don't have much experience with Rado watches. Thanks in advance.

some time handy with autos to take two shots so you can see the movement fully as the fly wheel is blocking the hair spring view so a lot of info is normal around that area so I tend to take one pic with the fly wheel at one side then the other so the fully movement can be seen. at first glance from one still learning it don't scream frank but ? close up shots help so that we can see things on the dial and crystal as their will be hidden marking their some times .

welcome

not separate forum just a sub-forum as we are all one big watch community
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes GreenSteel liked this post
    Congratulations on finding such a rarity.
    I consider mine as one of the prettiest watches I own. I actually have two of these as my wife fell in love when I first got mine.
    There's a few of them in this group, such that we actually own more than 1% of the total world production.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

6. Likes GreenSteel liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Congratulations on finding such a rarity.
    I consider mine as one of the prettiest watches I own. I actually have two of these as my wife fell in love when I first got mine.
    There's a few of them in this group, such that we actually own more than 1% of the total world production.
    Wow, you have that exact watch; small world, since only 600 were made. I am still considering going back to buy it. Pictures don't do it justice.

I thought it was small when I saw it, but on my 6.5. in. wrist, the 35mm by 43mm case fit nice.

How comfortable is the bracelet? Edit: I know I tried it, but it was oversized so could not have it fit. Wondering long term, or after several hours on the wrist

Does it have solid end links?
    Last edited by GreenSteel; Oct 6, 2022 at 01:08 PM.

Hi, and welcome. As I mentioned over at WUS that is a good price for the LE chronometer, even without the packaging. It's a great little watch and that one looks legit.

I also have a Diastar "40". When we were over at EoT and had a larger group of members we had about 1 1/5% of all the Diastar "40"s ever produced.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

9. Likes GreenSteel liked this post
    Wow, you have that exact watch; small world, since only 600 were made. I am still considering going back to buy it. Pictures don't do it justice.

I thought it was small when I saw it, but on my 6.5. in. wrist, the 35mm by 43mm case fit nice.

How comfortable is the bracelet? Edit: I know I tried it, but it was oversized so could not have it fit. Wondering long term, or after several hours on the wrist

Does it have solid end links?
    The bracelet is very comfortable and does have solid end links. If you are very particular about fit, the bracelet doesn't give a lot of leeway like half links. I tend to prefer mine a little loose so that is not a problem for me, but I know it can be for some folks.

11. Likes GreenSteel liked this post
    Thanks! Good to hear it has SEL. I do like that the Diastar is a very unique, and original design.

Thanks for the help on WUS a few days ago. Just wanted to get as much info/help as possible from several sources/outlets!

Thanks! Good to hear it has SEL. I do like that the Diastar is a very unique, and original design.

Thanks for the help on WUS a few days ago. Just wanted to get as much info/help as possible from several sources/outlets!
    Never a bad idea.

14. Likes GreenSteel liked this post
    Wow, you have that exact watch; small world, since only 600 were made.
    Not really such a coincidence when you're talking about a very special Rado in the best Rado group in the world...

16. Likes GreenSteel, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    When we were over at EoT and had a larger group of members we had about 1 1/5% of all the Diastar "40"s ever produced.
    I'm fairly sure we still have 6 or more here.

18. Likes GreenSteel, Henry Krinkle liked this post