Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrosonic Tuning Forks?

Question Electrosonic Tuning Forks?

Hi,

Those pre-quartz '60-70s tuning fork watches are such an amazing piece of kit. I'm hoping there is some interest in the old tuning fork movements here. I currently have one non-Rado example, a Bulova Accutron with a Bulova 2182G movement.

I'm looking for any info on the ESA Mosaba movements in the Rado Electrosonics and I have a bunch of questions. I hope somebody can help.

Is the Electrosonic line tuning fork only, or did Rado switch the Electrosonic over to quartz movements at some point?

Are there any other Rado models that use the ESA Mosaba tuning fork movements?

What are the list of ESA Mosaba movement(s) used in the Electrosonic model or any other Rado lines?

Has anybody using Silver Oxide batteries experiencing double indexing i.e. fast running (if so, what's up with rephasing / coil mods)?

Can you point out any good refs/links or sites for Rado Electrosonics, or ESA tuning fork movement, or even the Bulova Accutrons?
    (I'm currently working off a bunch of Web Archives of older sites that aren't around anymore... )

Thanks,
    Slade.
    Last edited by sladew; Oct 20, 2022 at 10:01 PM.

2. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Good morning Slade , you're up early or is it late? My understanding is that Rado used the tuning fork in the Electrosonic only, although there is a Balboa version but it still has the Electrosonic case back. I use SR1136SW cells in both my dynatrons and my tuning fork without any problems. There was a battery thread at EoT where I mentioned the availability of cells that electronically mimic the 1.35v mercury cells originally used, I'll see if I can find that info again and post it here. I think they exclusively used the ESA 9162. The technology was licensed by Bulova but the movement was developed by ESA with the aid of an ex Bulova employee and is thought to be superior to the original accutron as it has twin forks and I'm pretty sure it was the only tuning fork type movement to achieve chronometer certification.

Here is a link to a repair manual, it's Longines but it's the ESA 9162 movement.

Edit: The replacement 1.35v is called the "Accucell" but according to this from The Small Battery Co. UK [ Owners of Omega F300 watches, and others based on the same movement (ESA 9162, ESA 9164, ESA 9210), and the micro-motor tuning fork watches (Omega calibre 1220, calibre 1230, Megasonic f720hz), CAN NOT USE THIS BATTERY, but you can safely use the silver oxide 344. These watches should function perfectly with the 344 as these movements were designed to run satisfactorily on both the higher voltage Silver Oxide batteries and Mercury batteries]
    Last edited by Tim.; Oct 20, 2022 at 10:14 PM.

I know very little about the electro-mechanical movements but can answer some of your questions.

All Electrosonics have tuning fork movements. Hardtrons, Marstrons, Both versions of Newtronics and both versions of the SpaceFlight also carry electro-mechanical movements.

Because all threads need pictures here is my SpaceFlight 702.

P1230043 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P1230037 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P1230033 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

5. Likes earl of farnborough, Tim. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I know very little about the electro-mechanical movements but can answer some of your questions.

All Electrosonics have tuning fork movements. Hardtrons, Marstrons, Both versions of Newtronics and both versions of the SpaceFlight also carry electro-mechanical movements.

Because all threads need pictures here is my SpaceFlight 702.

P1230043 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P1230037 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P1230033 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    where's the battery
    just my usually playing duke nukem while burning the dinner

" Hell to the Chief"

https://emgwatches.com/
    http://www.instagram.com/iyonk_strap/
    Blanchy Talks Watches

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    where's the battery
    Took the picture while changing the battery. It blasts through batteries, and I wear it infrequently enough that I basically need to change the battery every time I put it on.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

electrosonic joy

Hi There,
    Im new to the forum with much newfound love for watches but more so Rado madness.

I saw this thread and wanted to chime in. Im not sure if you have this place already but here is where i learned most about the ESA and accutron movements. I believe Rob is one of the best out there.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acc.htm

I purchased a Rado electrosonic laast year from egyot and then had it sent over to Rob in australia and he gave it back to me, perfect beyond perfect. It is my most favourite and special watch and keep well within COSC specifications, and that second hand sweep is second to only the 720Mhz and grand seiko. IMO. I hope this helps and i attache a couple of pictures of my baby.

I am more than happy to share more photos.
    thanks, Mahender
    Name:  20230129_141129.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  217.1 KBName:  20230129_142118.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  120.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sladew View Post
    Hi,

Those pre-quartz '60-70s tuning fork watches are such an amazing piece of kit. I'm hoping there is some interest in the old tuning fork movements here. I currently have one non-Rado example, a Bulova Accutron with a Bulova 2182G movement.

I'm looking for any info on the ESA Mosaba movements in the Rado Electrosonics and I have a bunch of questions. I hope somebody can help.

Is the Electrosonic line tuning fork only, or did Rado switch the Electrosonic over to quartz movements at some point?

Are there any other Rado models that use the ESA Mosaba tuning fork movements?

What are the list of ESA Mosaba movement(s) used in the Electrosonic model or any other Rado lines?

Has anybody using Silver Oxide batteries experiencing double indexing i.e. fast running (if so, what's up with rephasing / coil mods)?

Can you point out any good refs/links or sites for Rado Electrosonics, or ESA tuning fork movement, or even the Bulova Accutrons?
    (I'm currently working off a bunch of Web Archives of older sites that aren't around anymore... )

Thanks,
    Slade.

9. Likes earl of farnborough liked this post
    Good to see you here Mahender. That is a very nice example of a steel cased Electrosonic, we donít see many in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes mahender liked this post

my 9162s

Name:  tigersonic.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  96.4 KBName:  tiger2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  79.5 KBName:  9162.jpg
Size:  100.2 KBName:  gold sonic.jpg
Size:  95.6 KBName:  titus sonic.jpg
Size:  102.8 KBI

My 9162s , 2 of my Tiger Eye electrosonic (appears to be tungsten carbide case), unique one off project watch to using a 9162 to mimic a Bulova accutron spaceview (https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/thre...roject.102494/ ), Gold electrosonic and a Titus 9162 (purchased as a donor movement,

As usual, apologies for my poor camera skills

13. Likes mahender liked this post
    Ho John, Its nice to see you here also and thank you regarding my electrosonic.
    I was glad when i saw your name on here.

I've been meaning to message you to ask if you still have your Manchester Sapphire? still keeping an eye on your ebay.
    Im from Manchester and wondering if this will be my next one although I am really fancying a tiger eye dial.

might see if i can win this one for the dial.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/195578061611

there was a beautiful blue manchester just sold on ebay, my head over ruled my heart thankfully.

Oh and also, I finally sent my (your ex) strato jet in for service, I really am excited to get it back but is gonna be another 5 weeks.

have a great day.
    mahender
    Last edited by mahender; Feb 1, 2023 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuzL View Post
    Name:  tigersonic.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  96.4 KBName:  tiger2.jpg
Size:  79.5 KBName:  9162.jpg
Size:  100.2 KBName:  gold sonic.jpg
Size:  95.6 KBName:  titus sonic.jpg
Size:  102.8 KBI

My 9162s , 2 of my Tiger Eye electrosonic (appears to be tungsten carbide case), unique one off project watch to using a 9162 to mimic a Bulova accutron spaceview (https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/thre...roject.102494/ ), Gold electrosonic and a Titus 9162 (purchased as a donor movement,

As usual, apologies for my poor camera skills
    Hi StuzL,
    maybe it was fate to be here and you to reply. my next wish list i think is going to be a tiger eye dial and yours are electrosonic " double bonus".

I might try and win this one so maybe i can transplant the dial to something else if it doesn't work.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/195578061611

absolutely gorgeous.

mahender