Likes Likes:  104
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think it is Dead

I think it is Dead

Sunday after the time change I noticed my old G-Shock Riseman had a blank screen. Nothing seemed to wake it. Just to be sure I put it in the sunny window sill for a few days and it's still dead.

The Riseman was purchased back in 2008 and it was my first ever G-Shock, I chose it due to it's features, size and that it was atomic and solar. I'm pretty sure I paid about $125 back then. Fourteen years for a watch like this is a very good run. Those of you that know me back from my WUS days may recall the story of me loosing this watch for a bit over a year. The story goes, I was working on the roof and took off the watch to measure the temperature on the roof. The G-Shock uses the case back to sense temperature so it must be off the wrist. I fastened it around a roof vent pipe. Five minutes later a thunder storm rolled in and I got off the roof and forgot the watch. I had forgotten about it until I was looking for it to use for a home project like trimming the hedges. I figured it would turn up since it had to be in the house somewhere. A bit over a year later I noticed something on the vent pipe and got a ladder to see what it was. There was the watch and when I picked it up and pressed a button it was running fine and had the correct time. Solar kept it charged and the atomic kept it set correctly. Even the case did not degrade like most plastic out in our sun for a year.

I know it might be able to be fixed, but it's time to let it go. My newer connected G-Shock are much easier to live with and truth be told this was only worn in situations it may have gotten damaged in. I don't think it has had any wrist time since we finished working on the other house to sell it. I'm thinking a burial at sea(Lake) is in order. RIP Mr Riseman. Your watch is over.

Riseman 2008-2022... White speckles are paint.
    Last edited by Samanator; Nov 10, 2022 at 05:23 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

2. Likes Raza, Henry Krinkle, hayday, wschofield3 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    The passing of a watch is always a sad occasion, but it had a good, long life. RIP.

I remember that story, that shit was wild. I know there are many G-Shock stress tests, but that one was one of the most impressive for me.
    Last edited by Raza; Nov 10, 2022 at 02:21 PM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes Samanator liked this post
    I do remember that story!

Rip fallen soldier.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes Samanator liked this post
    I remember the story too.

Name:  BC2D136C-E3F4-4632-BF59-6BC70EF47196.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  140.5 KB

Farewell, Riseman.

8. Likes Samanator, Fantasio liked this post
    The end of an era.

10. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    The passing of a watch is always a sad occasion, but it had a good, long life. RIP.

I remember that story, that shit was wild. I know there are many G-Shock stress tests, but that one was one of the most impressive for me.
    There was also the test I did on the Ball forum at the old place between it and the Ball TMT for reading temperature. I never froze watches before to test and then placed it on 130 degree dark pavers to check high temperature readings. I lost all the pictures to PhotoBucket. In that case the preset limits of the G-Shock held it from being able to measure the extreme temps I was testing for. The Ball proved to be more capable on that day. Given some of the other things I put it through the Ball would be a pile of dust.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

12. Likes Raza liked this post
    Changing the rechargeable battery on a solar G-Shock takes about 2 minutes. They are as easy to swap as normal batteries. So why let it die? Just make sure to use JIS-screwdrivers (Japanese Industrial Standard) and don't lose any of the small springs connecting the piezo speaker to the module.
    Would be a shame to throw away such a classic just because it needs a new battery. You wouldn't do that with any other watch either.
    Cheers, Sedi

14. Likes Kronos, popoki nui liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I also remember that story. I agree with Sedi, though. A new capacitor/rechargeable battery is maybe $10. But then, I understand the sentiment, if it doesn't get wrist time. Maybe, though, not thrown in the lake as it will have some toxins in it (like the capacitor, in fact.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Changing the rechargeable battery on a solar G-Shock takes about 2 minutes. They are as easy to swap as normal batteries. So why let it die? Just make sure to use JIS-screwdrivers (Japanese Industrial Standard) and don't lose any of the small springs connecting the piezo speaker to the module.
    Would be a shame to throw away such a classic just because it needs a new battery. You wouldn't do that with any other watch either.
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I also remember that story. I agree with Sedi, though. A new capacitor/rechargeable battery is maybe $10. But then, I understand the sentiment, if it doesn't get wrist time. Maybe, though, not thrown in the lake as it will have some toxins in it (like the capacitor, in fact.)
    i'm with these guys a ctl 1616 would be the one you probably need uk they are about a tenner or so, if it was me would fit a new battery as they are decent watches then gift it to a local charity shop or some one who needs a work watch maybe just seems wrong to bin any watch or shark bait it as not good for the local wildlife either save it save it
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

17. Likes Sedi, skywatch, popoki nui liked this post
    Lost batons , locked batons , all showed ... got me back

Farewell , and hope the new lives long and and .... as they say ....