Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography question for the IWL photo brain trust

Blog Entries
    Chuck, thanks for the list of things to consider. I’ve been trying to compile such a list and it’s good to have a second opinion.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Being mostly into film the last several years, I have not been keeping up with current digital cameras, that being said, I have recently been looking into the Nikon Z7II lately. In fact they were on sale for Black Friday, as well as the Z6, Z6ii, and Z7.. and a bunch of Nikon lenses too.

I didn't bite because I'm not ready to commit yet... and thinking more deeply into it, the Z7 and 7II are the exact same sensor, and the Z7 was a fair bit less expensive, the only thing the II gets you is more buffer and faster FPS... no big deal for me, so likely the Z7 would suffice.

As far as your nephew, not sure the budget, but having a faster buffer and FPS would benefit some action style nature photography. The Z6Ii is a lot less expensive, but lower resolution... so kind of a catch 22 there. I'm not sure what his goal is...large prints? If not, maybe the z6 would suffice.

You mention full frame desirability and the cost of long glass (indeed)... but a crop sensor would give you more reach... Again, I'm not up to speed with digital cameras, but I think Fugi owns the micro 4/3rds game. I know there are others, but Fugi seems to be the tops. Incidentally, they also make a few medium format cameras with larger than full frame sensors that I am also very interested in.

I seriously wish I had a good current digital camera for a recent trip abroad. Instead, I was a fool and brought a 1970s Hasselblad and a hand held meter whilst trying to mind an 18 month old toddler. I didn't take many pictures and ended up using my crappy phone most of the time for convenience.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Dec 7, 2022 at 06:33 PM.

3. Likes Strange liked this post
    Nice article here on choosing a full frame sensor body.

https://www.techradar.com/features/t...l-frame-camera

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

5. Likes Strange liked this post
    @Strange What direction did your nephew go?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    @Strange What direction did your nephew go?

He wound up getting a used Nikon Z-50 and a Tamron zoom of some description. He got a really decent price on the Nikon. He and I have gone out shooting a few times and I've gotta tell you the kid has a really good eye for interesting shots. He's got a lot of enthusiasm for learning and he & I are going to take some classes when he comes down for spring break -- a mix of technical stuff and composition. I'm looking forward to it because my composition royally blows chunks.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

8. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Good camera.

I have always heard that photography is an art, based on technology. It always has been. Knowing both sides of it is certainly a benefit. I hope you enjoy the classes.

10. Likes Strange liked this post
    Your comment on composition made me think of sharing this.

Here is something for you to think about as preparation for your classes. Art Wolfe is one of the most recognized and celebrated photographers of the modern era. But, his initial background and training was in art and painting. He took his vision of art and transferred it to photography. As he looks for something to shoot, as he looks for a scene, he imagines how it would look as a painting. He explains this in his Talk at Google. Before you can consider the composition of a subject or a scene you first have to find and "see" the subject or scene.

https://youtu.be/44LI5sOq408

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I seriously wish I had a good current digital camera for a recent trip abroad. Instead, I was a fool and brought a 1970s Hasselblad and a hand held meter whilst trying to mind an 18 month old toddler. I didn't take many pictures and ended up using my crappy phone most of the time for convenience.
    Lol That’s old school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

13. Likes gnuyork liked this post