Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arnie Arrival

Arnie Arrival

Seiko Arnie 40th Anniversary - SNJ033P1

Name:  FBD05125-69CD-498C-91AD-6DF7F1A82926.jpeg
Views: 88
Size:  319.8 KB

Obviously, this is right up my street. Discretion, simplicity, old-time elegance…

But I don’t mind a big lump of steel, and I have a weakness for ana-digi and buttons. It’s actually quite compact, feeling nothing like the dimensions of 46.92 x 14.19. From lug to lug it measures 50.94, and Nomos has models that are longer than that. It has a fair bit of presence, but it’s well within the confines of a regular dive watch.

Name:  8873B43D-532C-41DA-8478-9ACBBDAD588A.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  160.9 KB

What you get is a Seiko-signature dive watch with solar and digital convenience. The digits provide a stopwatch, second time zone, alarm, battery meter and dive mode (depth gauge, dive log). Operation and adjustment is straightforward. The bottom left button takes you through the digital modes, the crown does the adjustment. The hands are synced with the digits. The upper right button is for the stopwatch, and in time and date modes it illuminates the digital window. The lower right button is for the dive mode functions. One thing does occur to me - can you really read those digits underwater, in the gloom, wearing goggles? The automatic dive log might be useful, though. The watch senses your dive, and logs depth, time and temperature.

It’s a 40th Anniversary model, and the main difference from the original is that the digital window has moved from the top of the dial to the bottom, and it’s a little bigger. Overall, the watch is smaller, by a millimetre, and it gains the dive mode. I like it better than the original, which has never tempted me. The dial is more open, more natural, and less obviously squashed. In fact, I’m not conscious of it being squashed at all. The buttons are funkier, and there’s one more of them.

What you also get is a good helping of Seiko style and character. What you don’t get is Seiko’s customary day-date at 3, happily sacrificed in favour of multi-function utility. Quality is excellent, from dial to case, to bracelet. Everything lines up as it should, including the seconds hand. Full marks, Seiko-China.

And then there’s Arnie. The association has no real meaning for me (and maybe this version isn’t really an Arnie), but the watch might not exist without him - so thanks, Arnie! I was certainly influenced by the Black Friday price. I came across the offer by accident, had a sharp intake of breath and was hooked.

I don’t know how it will fare in the long-term. I don’t need two Seiko divers and the size of my collection has crept up (with an anOrdain on order). I might be heading for a cull at some point, but this could well survive it. It’s a very capable watch, and it has digits and buttons, and everything.

Name:  DE7E12F6-36AE-4763-93ED-AE80E41056AA.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  157.5 KB

Collection now -

Name:  15EA5307-BCF2-43DB-8EA9-B11AE2EB48B3.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  187.3 KB

Something may have to give, sometime next year. I can feel stirrings.

Blog Entries
    I like it!
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes tribe125, Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I like it!

Thanks, Raza!

I was initially surprised by your approval, but then remembered that you don’t mind an ana-digi.

6. Likes Samanator, Raza liked this post

8. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    That is seriously cool, congrats!

Thanks!

I thought I might be the only person to like this.

Massive and cool. Needs more buttons, though.

Seems like the other Seiko diver might be living on borrowed time...

11. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Seems like the other Seiko diver might be living on borrowed time...

Maybe, but I might be more radical than that. Two would have to go to accommodate the anOrdain and get back to ten. Maybe three will go. I’ll see what gives in the coming months.

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Way cool! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Bestill my beating heart....

Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

16. Likes tribe125, Kronos liked this post