Thread: Who Died in 2023

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who Died in 2023

Celebrating Lives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jeff Beck: British guitar legend dies aged 78 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64228780

Oooooooh… Jeff Beck.

Heroes don’t come much bigger. Not just the playing, but the man. Sometimes you feel like you know someone, when you clearly don’t, and it was like that. I was fascinated just to hear him talk - modest but mischievous, confident but self-effacing. I drive through his village sometimes, half-expecting to see him in one of the hot rods he built in his barn.

He played like he’d only just discovered what he could do, and it was still exciting and fun. He was the greatest gunslinger guitarist.

For anyone who doesn’t know him, look for his performance at Ronnie Scott’s on YouTube. There’s some famous faces in the audience too.

RIP, Jeff Beck. There were others, but none were better.

4. Likes Kronos, skywatch liked this post
    Gosh! Just last summer my son was a stagehand at a festival where Jeff Beck Band performed. He didn’t meet Jeff but saw him backstage and on stage too, and was impressed.

Sent from Maxwell Smart’s shoe.

Blog Entries
    Well that just blows great chunks. Beck was sui generis. In a world of players who all sound the same he was an original and unlike anyone else. Even the legions of guitarists who stole his licks couldn’t really manage to sound like him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGoHVSggdo
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Oooooooh… Jeff Beck.

Heroes don’t come much bigger. Not just the playing, but the man. Sometimes you feel like you know someone, when you clearly don’t, and it was like that. I was fascinated just to hear him talk - modest but mischievous, confident but self-effacing. I drive through his village sometimes, half-expecting to see him in one of the hot rods he built in his barn.

He played like he’d only just discovered what he could do, and it was still exciting and fun. He was the greatest gunslinger guitarist.

For anyone who doesn’t know him, look for his performance at Ronnie Scott’s on YouTube. There’s some famous faces in the audience too.

RIP, Jeff Beck. There were others, but none were better.
    I grew up listening to him, being inspired by him (even though, given my modest skills, aspiration was the best I could do). Incredibly talented and innovative. People often throw around undeserved hyperbole about artists when they die, but he deserves every accolade.

Blog Entries
    RIP Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of the King.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

9. Likes Mediocre, Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    RIP Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of the King.
    She was only in her 50s, too. Far, far too young.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

11. Likes Mediocre, Strange liked this post
    Name:  CD414B45-97BC-401F-BD40-661A31D8C22E.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  91.2 KB

Gina Lollobrigida at the age of 95.

Even the sound of her name was alluring. To a boy in England, anyway.

13. Likes Fantasio, Kronos liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I grew up listening to him, being inspired by him (even though, given my modest skills, aspiration was the best I could do). Incredibly talented and innovative. People often throw around undeserved hyperbole about artists when they die, but he deserves every accolade.

I was lucky enough to see him live with Jan Hammer back in February '77. I remember being blown away at the time, although my memory of the actual concert is fairly vague, it was a long time ago. Luckily, having done a little digging re the tour date for Sydney, I've discovered there's a live recording of that very concert. A rare chance to re-live a little of my youth.

https://www.giginjapan.com/scan117/j...k-playdown.htm
    Last edited by Tim.; Jan 17, 2023 at 08:22 PM.

15. Likes mlcor, tribe125, Mediocre liked this post