Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Bending spring bars

Bending spring bars

I saw a Polaris on WUS on an MN strap and I liked the look. It made it much more daily wear vs the bracelet, which is very nice, but a little flashy. The problem with the Polaris is straight spring bars almost touch the case when installed with no strap. I needed some curved bars but past DIY attempts have either broken the bars or left them creased instead of a gentle bend.

I did some searching and found a thread on WUS that suggested using 2 spoons to bend the spring bars. Lay the bar across the spoon, lay the other on top and gently squeeze. Perfection!

I have a cheap nato on the watch until I can get more 21mm straps (21mm, why JLC?!?) but the fit is perfect with the curved bars.

Maybe others already knew this but figured I'd pass on something I learned today.

2. Likes skywatch, Greg, hayday, Mediocre, Strela167 liked this post
    Clever. I hadn’t heard of that.

That is a clever way to bend spring bars!

So, a question on curved spring bars. On a watch that comes with a straight spring bars the hole in the lug is also cut straight. When you bend that bar does that cause the spring tip to be shallow and misaligned in the lug??

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Blog Entries
    Why not just buy some curved bars? I wouldn’t feel comfortable stressing what is already the most likely failure point on a watch, personally.

These are a bit pricey, but they’re quick release. I think they have regular ones at 21mm as well: https://www.strapcode.com/collection...39524210311252

EDIT:

Here you go, 10 pair for $13: https://www.strapcode.com/collection...39694040399956
    Last edited by Raza; Feb 10, 2023 at 05:13 PM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Why not just buy some curved bars? I wouldn’t feel comfortable stressing what is already the most likely failure point on a watch, personally.

These are a bit pricey, but they’re quick release. I think they have regular ones at 21mm as well: https://www.strapcode.com/collection...39524210311252

EDIT:

Here you go, 10 pair for $13: https://www.strapcode.com/collection...39694040399956

I have a bunch of quality spring bars I purchased in 16-22mm from Esslinger several years ago (I probably posted about it here). I don't think my method of bending is going to stress them more than the ones that you are suggesting, but everyone has a different comfort level with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post

So, a question on curved spring bars. On a watch that comes with a straight spring bars the hole in the lug is also cut straight. When you bend that bar does that cause the spring tip to be shallow and misaligned in the lug??

My only test was pulling on the strap to get them to bend or pop out. It passed

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post

That would be my concern. If they are curved, do you need a longer bar? Say 21mm in 20mm lugs?
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

As a side point, spring bars are measured compressed, and the springy bits vary a little in length, so spring bars of the same length can vary in length.

10. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Thanks for sharing. All my attempts have resulted in catastrophic failure lol. Will try this next time

12. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    That looks solid.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

14. Likes Mediocre liked this post