Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doxa musings

Doxa musings

So, back when I wanted a turquoise Rolex OP, but they weren't obtainable, I was thinking seriously about an aquamarine Doxa, but ultimately decided against it because I wouldn't be able to try one on beforehand, and wasn't sure about how I'd like it. Then along came the turquoise DiRenzo, which solved the problem for a fraction of the cost, and I'm still loving that piece.

But the Doxa never left my mind, instead, I've been thinking about a traditional one, the professional (orange dial) either in the 300 or 300T. I know we have several Doxa owners here, so I'm interested in opinions as to which you'd recommend.

I have a 7.25" wrist, so I know I can handle either of them (same diameter). Here's where I am:

300 pros: slimmer height, thinner bracelet, Cosc certified (although frankly that last isn't terribly important to me).
    300 cons: smaller dial, maybe will look too small on my wrist? Also more expensive.

300T pros: bigger dial, presumably more legible, chunkier feel not inappropriate given the nature of the watch, cheaper.
    300T cons: thicker case, thicker bracelet, heavier.

What I'm thinking is I may just ask Rob at Topper to keep an eye out for me for one or the other, since he does seem to get some in used, and if I didn't like it, I know he'd take it back. Save some money, plus to buy new, I'd either have to buy direct or through one of the dealers in the US, and I don't know them (Mayor's and Watches of Switzerland).

But first I'd have to decide which, 300 or 300T.

OK Doxa guys, go!

2. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    You know where I stand on this.

4. Likes mlcor, gnuyork liked this post
    I like the orange more than turquoise and prefer thinner watches. My vote is 300 Pro.

6. Likes mlcor, gnuyork liked this post

Doxa musings

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I know we have several Doxa owners here, so I'm interested in opinions as to which you'd recommend.

I have a 7.25" wrist, so I know I can handle either of them (same diameter). Here's where I am:
    300 pros: slimmer height, thinner bracelet, Cosc certified (although frankly that last isn't terribly important to me).
    300 cons: smaller dial, maybe will look too small on my wrist? Also more expensive.
    When I was looking for a Doxa, I wanted as vintage looking as possible, and to me it meant 300 Searambler. I've never handled a 300T, so I let others (maybe Michael) comment on that.

My view on your comments:
    - slimmer height: 300 is really comfy on wrist, huge plus for me, I know you've seen profile comparisons
    - thinner bracelet: adds vintage charm, rattly beads-of-rice, stamped clasp, bubble crystal, etc.
    - COSC cert: could have done without and save the difference, no deal-breaker though, and accuracy is nice
    - small dial: definitely small, but a nice feature and absolutely no issues with legibility, Doxa hands are easy to read
    - small looks: difference is in the thickness, so you win in comfort but get roughly same look as 300T

I would recommend starting with 300 if you can get one from Rob, but of course depends on what you are looking for. For actual diving or dive monster experience 300T is definitely better choice.

I add a couple of wrist shots 300 vs. more common pieces for comparison, but I don't think 300 would look too small on your wrist. It has presence (especially with bracelet), but wins many more popular pieces in wearing comfort (feel on the wrist Doxa 300 < Submariner < Speedmaster < Sinn UX < Seiko Turtle). 300 and Turtle have similar looks, but wear very differently.

300 vs. Turtle profiles

Last edited by Fantasio; Feb 19, 2023 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added pics

8. Likes happyscrappyheropup, mlcor, geoffbot liked this post
    Thanks, Marko, for your detailed response. I do think the orange dial Pro will wear smaller than your silver dial 300 because of the darker dial, but all your points are well taken and the pictures are really helpful. It will be interesting to hear @Samanator and maybe others weigh in. I know Michael generally prefers chunkier watches than I do.

10. Likes Fantasio liked this post

Doxa musings

Glad to be of assistance and act as an enabler.

I agree that orange dial might look smaller due to contrast vs. silver sunburst blending with the case. But I think it will affect how large the dial looks to be, rather than the appearance of the case size. But maybe Ollie ( @whatmeworry ) could chime in on this, because I think he has 300 Professional.

In my opinion if you’re fine with Hulk sizing, you should be good with 300 too. They are in the same ballpark, but 300 hugs wrist better, whereas Sub sits a bit higher on its’ bubbleback. Smaller dial, highly domed crystal and lesser diameter of the bezel make the 300 feel smaller on the wrist, but looking head on the size looks pretty similar.

Of course coloured ceramic bezel might give a bigger impression than Doxa’s steel bezel, that’s same with 300T too.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Thanks, Marko, for your detailed response. I do think the orange dial Pro will wear smaller than your silver dial 300 because of the darker dial, but all your points are well taken and the pictures are really helpful. It will be interesting to hear @Samanator and maybe others weigh in. I know Michael generally prefers chunkier watches than I do.

Sent from Maxwell Smart’s shoe

12. Likes mlcor, skywatch liked this post
    I think that you've nailed the differences very well in your intro post ml. Pros that you've listed above may be cons for someone else, and vice versa...it really just depends on what your preferences are.

Fortunately, both the 300 and 300T look like Doxas!

I only have one 300, the Searamber 300 LE, and would say that it carries a bit more vintage vibe to me due to the overall thinner case, thinner bracelet, and box-style sapphire crystal that pushes up above the bezel. It wears lighter and smaller on the wrist overall, and my wrist is right around the same as yours...maybe just a smidge under 7.25".

The 300T is the more modern Doxa to me with it's thicker case and thicker bezel. The only 300T I own is the Divingstar Poseidon version, and I do like the bright yellow for a change of pace.

I also own the T-Graph 600T Searamber and 750T Pro, but those are larger dimensionally as you know. I agree that your wrist can easily handle both 300 & 300T models.

I think it really comes down to your preferences ml, and having Rob locate one for you that you can try is a great strategy.

A few pics that I'm not sure will help (Marco's comparison pics above are way more helpful imo).

Last edited by stew77; Feb 19, 2023 at 09:26 PM.
    Cheers,

Chris

Blog Entries
    I don’t have direct experience with Doxa, but I’ve tried many times to make cushion cases work on my wrist and the right size is really hard to nail down. I’ve had several cushion watches that felt both too big and too small at the same time because of the ultra short lugs. Definitely buy from a place with a return policy.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

I think both are very small mostly for dial size verses case size. If your going for a vintage vibe one like Marko is the choice. By vintage it is mostly the high domed crystal that provides the look. If you like the distorted edges then b y all means go for it. The other is pretty much the same size except without the distorted edges it looks much bigger.how’s that for answering without answering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

16. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Savagely Average
    I too was curious, but my Doxa was short lived. I did not find it comfortable

18. Likes mlcor liked this post